Boot Camp Windows 10 and light gaming

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. Just curious, have any of you installed Windows 10?

If so, have you installed Steam, and do strategic games like, say, Civ V or Civ VI work for you?

If so, which processor, how much RAM? And how is your experience?

I'm not upgrading for a bit, but curious about my options.

hallux

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not sure the 12" MacBook is the Mac I would choose for BootCamp. I'm not saying it won't run, but without active cooling (that Mac has no fan) I'd be concerned about the thermals, especially when playing a game on top of that.

That said, the Steam store DOES have Mac versions of the 2 games you mentioned so there is no need to run BootCamp and the minimum and suggested specs are posted in the listing for each game. Look up the games you intend to play, you may be surprised what has a native Mac version.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a power question, especially given the upgrade of the m7 to i7 (a name change they claim is backed by benchmarks).

Just using these uses as examples of the sorts of loads I'd put on one. Not professional-level loads, but more than just email/word processing and browsing.

Sounds more like a Pro is needed.

hallux

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
I support a large corporation, we do offer Macs but the MacBook is NOT offered. Just the load of Office seemed like it would be a bit much for those computers. Those machines are probably GREAT if you're sticking to the native Apple apps and not tossing music production or video editing at it.

Other than the screen resolution even an Air might be better. However, for $100 more than the top end MacBook you can get a 13" MBP (non-TB model) with a 2.3 gHz CPU and 512 GB of storage and it's not THAT large of a computer and has a better integrated GPU.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Right, right.

The significant other recently upgraded, and I advised her to get a 13" MBP (2017 model) with 16GB RAM and 256GB storage. It'll last her a long time with her usage (email, browsing, music, and statistics processing for an Econ PhD dissertation).

I've got a 2012 non-Retina 13" i7 MBP upgraded to 16GB RAM and a terabyte SSD, so don't need something new soon, but I've been looking at those beautiful displays, both for the MacBook 12-inch and the MBP, and wondering.

No rush. I tend to overbuy for my uses, so was wondering if/when the time comes I could go superlight.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My year old M5 has had plenty power and resources to run a Windows 10 VM (VMware) and Office 365 apps in the guest or host OS. with that our Air gathers dust almost all the time and our MacBook Pro 15" often.

I wouldn't be telling someone to not get something when you think it "seemed" wrong vs tested it or used it.

The MacBook is not an engineering or gaming station but it is very capable if you value the size it's worth considering.

jdotcarter

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I’ve used Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro on the 2016 M5 with little to no issue. Word and Excel seems fine too.

I support a large corporation, we do offer Macs but the MacBook is NOT offered. Just the load of Office seemed like it would be a bit much for those computers. Those machines are probably GREAT if you're sticking to the native Apple apps and not tossing music production or video editing at it.

Other than the screen resolution even an Air might be better. However, for $100 more than the top end MacBook you can get a 13" MBP (non-TB model) with a 2.3 gHz CPU and 512 GB of storage and it's not THAT large of a computer and has a better integrated GPU.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Civilization V runs fine on my iMac with Iris Pro and 8GB of RAM. Not sure why bootcamp would be required.

Henry_Mark

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for my late input. But I need your help somehow. I recently upgraded my Windows (laptop) from 7 to 10. But after upgrading there is no sound. How can I recover my laptop sound? Though I started searching online and reading different blog articles which are mainly written for the Windows troubleshooting. Here is a sample article, for example, https://windowsmaximizer.com/blog/no-sound-windows-10/ But my question are these types of articles help me to recover windows sound effectively? If you have some other ideas I am ready to accept them as well. Thank you!

Last edited: