Blackberry to iPhone

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
likewise...but as days go by i get used to it and totally appreciate the switch from blackberry to iphone. i dont know how good you are with smartphones. but with iphone...once you jailbreak its like a total whole new phone. it gets even better. once an offical ios5 jailbreak is out most of the stuff i missed on blackberry i shall be able to do on iphone.

HI!

Overall, I appreciate the switch as well. I'm pretty decent with smartphones and gadgets but still new to iPhone so will hold off on the jailbreaking for a while. ;)

I do love this phone. And you can't get my husband's away from him so the iPhone is definitely here to stay! :)

dcscott

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have been BB users for longer then I can remember. Between a bad experience with the first Torch and a dismal experience with the Playbook we decided to switch. When the 4S came out we jumped ship. So far I like the 4S a lot but there are two things that frustrate me with regards to email.

I don't like keeping a zillion email messages in my phone. With the BB you can quickly delete all emails prior to a certain date. Having to individually select each email for deletion is a pain. Also, I'd like to be able to delete messages off of my phone but have them stay on my PC (both Outlook/Exchange and Gmail). With the BB it gives you that option every time you do a deletion. I still haven't figured out how to do that with the iPhone.

My only other beef with the 4S is the battery life but I suspect that will be improved upon.

If you want a good example of how much easier the iPhone is to operate ask someone with a BB to show you how to conference a third party into an existing phone call. :D

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have been BB users for longer then I can remember. Between a bad experience with the first Torch and a dismal experience with the Playbook we decided to switch. When the 4S came out we jumped ship. So far I like the 4S a lot but there are two things that frustrate me with regards to email.

I don't like keeping a zillion email messages in my phone. With the BB you can quickly delete all emails prior to a certain date. Having to individually select each email for deletion is a pain. Also, I'd like to be able to delete messages off of my phone but have them stay on my PC (both Outlook/Exchange and Gmail). With the BB it gives you that option every time you do a deletion. I still haven't figured out how to do that with the iPhone.

My only other beef with the 4S is the battery life but I suspect that will be improved upon.

If you want a good example of how much easier the iPhone is to operate ask someone with a BB to show you how to conference a third party into an existing phone call. :D

I just switched over after years with various BBs too.

Regarding your first issue, When viewing your inbox, hit the edit button on the top right corner. Then select the mails you wish to delete by taping the circles on the left side of the message headers. You will be given the option to delete, move or mark (as read) all of the selected messages.

You can set up the e-mail client to leave mail on the server by tapping on the name of your e-mail server on "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" (in Settings). Scroll down and click on the "Advanced Button," and you will see the "Delete From Server" button, which can be configured the same as a BB.

My battery life has been really good compared to my BBs. I did follow the recommendations to turn of the touchscreen clicking, etc., and I try to make sure no apps are left running in the background. Otherwise, I keep Wifi and BT always on.

I do miss the ability to create and use different ringer profiles, But I understand that there is an app for jailbroken iPhones that allows this, and that the the 4s is on its way to being jailbroken.

The other thing the iPhone lacked out of the box was the ability to sync tasks, but RememberTheMilk and MilkSync has made this a non-issue, and RTM works nicely with SIRI when configured according to RTM's instructions.

I also missed a Week Agenda in the calendar, but Week Cal fixed this.

Otherwise, the iPhone just works better than the BB in every respect.

Have fun!

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I do miss the ability to create and use different ringer profiles, But I understand that there is an app for jailbroken iPhones that allows this, and that the the 4s is on its way to being jailbroken.

The other thing the iPhone lacked out of the box was the ability to sync tasks, but RememberTheMilk and MilkSync has made this a non-issue, and RTM works nicely with SIRI when configured according to RTM's instructions.

Have fun!

I miss the Sound Profiles the most. Other than that I love the iPhone. How do you close the apps completely? I've been using the home button to exit, but maybe that's not right?

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Closing apps

I miss the Sound Profiles the most. Other than that I love the iPhone. How do you close the apps completely? I've been using the home button to exit, but maybe that's not right?

I miss the sound profiles too - especially the ability to assign custom ringtones for individual EMAIL contacts and accounts. :(

To close out of apps completely, double-tap the home button (same way that you would get to the lock orientation button). You'll see your open apps across the bottom of your screen. Hold an icon down for a couple of seconds and it will wiggle (like when you delete or move an app from the home screen) and you'll see a red circle with a"-" minus sign in the corner of the icon. Tap on the red minus sign while the icons are wiggling and they will disappear and "close out". (Note: They won't be deleted from your phone when in this mode.) :)

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Regarding your first issue, When viewing your inbox, hit the edit button on the top right corner. Then select the mails you wish to delete by taping the circles on the left side of the message headers. You will be given the option to delete, move or mark (as read) all of the selected messages.

You can set up the e-mail client to leave mail on the server by tapping on the name of your e-mail server on "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" (in Settings). Scroll down and click on the "Advanced Button," and you will see the "Delete From Server" button, which can be configured the same as a BB.

My battery life has been really good compared to my BBs. I did follow the recommendations to turn of the touchscreen clicking, etc., and I try to make sure no apps are left running in the background. Otherwise, I keep Wifi and BT always on.

Have fun!

Where exactly do u see this "delete from server button" I have 1 gmail/2 aol accounts/1 yahoo email set up

dcscott

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

The point I was trying to make was that on the BB I could push once and delete hundreds of emails. With the iPhone I've got to go into edit mode and hand select each and every one that I want to delete. When you average over 200 a day that's a pain in the butt.

My Gmail account has an Advanced Button but no Delete from Server button and my Exchange account doesn't even have an Advanced Button so I still have no clue how to delete these emails from my phone and not the server.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Separate email folders in addition to customized email ringtones

Another thing I miss about BlackBerry email is the ability to have separate email folders on the home screen. I miss those red asterisks telling me that I have X unread messages on this specific email account. Right now I have to search each email account to see which ones are new since the pull-down notifications only show up to ten at a time.

Maybe it will be available in a future update. iPhone was inspired by BBM for iMessage, don't see why they wouldn't improve the email features to better suit businesses! ;)

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I use a POP server, and from the posts above, this may not be available for gmail/aol/yahoo. I really cannot say.

Ok thanx. In any case I'm very satisfied with the way the iPhone handles emails. I'm glad I can finally get full HTML emails on my phone. No more having to click on get more images or what not or the famous message truncated LOL

CBMem

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
If there is any single thing that would make me return this iphone, it would be the lack of sound profiles. The hoops you have to jump through on this "smart"phone because of not having this common feature is ridiculous!

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If there is any single thing that would make me return this iphone, it would be the lack of sound profiles. The hoops you have to jump through on this "smart"phone because of not having this common feature is ridiculous!

I just want one additional profile -- all sounds and vibrations off apart from the ringer for incoming calls. I'd like this at night, when the only calls I'd receive are emergencies. Otherwise, the physical toggle switch is fine.

tct70

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Email

Hi

First ever post, so excuse any Noobness!

About to go iPhone for work from my own Blackberry as it will talk to a hosted exchange out of the box (so I'm told). With regard to email via exchange, should the account be set to push from that point forward please?

Have been told (right or wrong) that push on iPhone batters the battery.

Any thoughts on this woud be much appreciated, as I have seen apps like pushmail and don't see why I need that.

Thanks.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

First ever post, so excuse any Noobness!

About to go iPhone for work from my own Blackberry as it will talk to a hosted exchange out of the box (so I'm told). With regard to email via exchange, should the account be set to push from that point forward please?

Have been told (right or wrong) that push on iPhone batters the battery.

Any thoughts on this woud be much appreciated, as I have seen apps like pushmail and don't see why I need that.

Thanks.

for now set to fetch. but if you need emails for work set to PUSH. we know many of us turning push off to conserve battery. Keep in mind Apple released 5.0.1 update to developers. apparantly this has the fix to the many bugs thats causing iOS 5 to drain battery. i have all my emails set to fetch and they come in at good timing...no such drastic changed in timing noticed from fetch vs push

tct70

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
for now set to fetch. but if you need emails for work set to PUSH. we know many of us turning push off to conserve battery. Keep in mind Apple released 5.0.1 update to developers. apparantly this has the fix to the many bugs thats causing iOS 5 to drain battery. i have all my emails set to fetch and they come in at good timing...no such drastic changed in timing noticed from fetch vs push

Thanks. Yep, will be for work, although private emails may be better at fetch then.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you turn off the time zone setting. That also seems to be another battery drain problem.

Settings - Location Services - System Services - Setting Time Zone should be off. :)

I don't understand the complaints re: battery life, but it is all relative I guess.

With normal usage, my 4s battery held its charge yesterday from 8:30 AM until after midnight. Albeit, I don't play games, and used the phone for only a handful of calls over the day. I primarily use it as a PIM during business hours (contacts, calendar and Remember the Milk tasks), and to check e-mail, which is set to push. I also did some web browsing yesterday, and sent and received a couple of texts. My use of SIRI has been limited thus far, but I do use the location services and PeopleFinder App.

While I have not owned a iPhone before, the battery life of my 4s far exceeds the Blackberrys I've owned previously (8830, Storm, Storm 2). I wonder how much of the battery drain people are experiencing has to do with the fact that new owners are playing with it a lot more than they were there old phones? I am happy that Apple is takeing measures to address bugs that it thinks may be battery-life problems, but there are no complaints here! This device blows away my Blackberrys in every way!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods