Black/dark screen bug FYI.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My new 14 Pro Max woke up dark and seemingly dead yesterday and did not at first respond to the up/down and side button push. AppleCare sent me to Apple Store with priority where the technician said I had a bug they've seen evidently not fixed in 16.1 and that he put my case in a system that will go to engineering.

In my rush and stress for other matters I did not get specific info that stated it pertained to the specific phone or the OS version.

I know the button press routines well from managing devices at work but the store guy said do a faster volume button press for newer phones. I have had screens dark or locked in the past and over time but signs the phone was still on. Mine seemed crashed or dead. It was 46% charged when putting it on the MagSafe pad going to bed, and 86% charged when it came back on. Being more than 80% charged had me guess it just crashed.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I was back in business soon. It was interesting that Apple stated a bug that was supposed to be fixed in 16.1. I've had variations of a locked or frozen screen before.

I'm glad you're up and running again, and it is interesting about the bug. Hopefully, it will be squashed soon!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This occurred again. Responding to support chat and the case ID, I understand a specific Apple team is calling me in about 30 minutes.

The crash or freeze has the battery at 80% so I suspect something in their battery management software and/or MagSafe charging. This started after I bought an official Apple MagSafe charge pad/dongle.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This occurred again. Responding to support chat and the case ID, I understand a specific Apple team is calling me in about 30 minutes.

The crash or freeze has the battery at 80% so I suspect something in their battery management software and/or MagSafe charging. This started after I bought an official Apple MagSafe charge pad/dongle.

Yikes! Keep us posted!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods