Best Way to Restore a New Device from Backup (from a device on dev beta)

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
So... as many of you may be as well, I’m getting my new iPad Pro tomorrow!

My currently iPad Pro is running 12.1.1 beta 2 on my developer account.

I currently backup my iPad to my MacBook pro (iTunes), but I’m not opposed to backing up to iCloud.

However, I know I need to add the UDID of my new iPad to my dev account to get it running.

So... do I have to go through the process of backing up my current iPad to iTunes -> set up new iPad as new -> plug the new one into iTunes to find the UDID -> add new iPad to my account -> finally restore from backup

OR

Can I backup current iPad to iCloud, set up new iPad from iCloud backup, then plug it into iTunes to find the UDID and add to my dev account

-

TL;DR: what is the fastest/easiest/safest way to set up my new iPad Pro from my current iPad Pro backup (which is running iOS 12.1.1 dev beta 2?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You’ll need to have the beta on your new iPad BEFORE you can restore from a backup made from the beta on your old iPad...
Set your new iPad up as a new device, install the beta profile and update to 12.1.1., then use Settings > General > Reset, and select Erase All Content and Settings, then restore from your iCloud backup.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
You’ll need to have the beta on your new iPad BEFORE you can restore from a backup made from the beta on your old iPad...
Set your new iPad up as a new device, install the beta profile and update to 12.1.1., then use Settings > General > Reset, and select Erase All Content and Settings, then restore from your iCloud backup.

That’s what I thought, thank you for the advice!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You no longer need the UDID for dev beta installs. That stopped being required several OS’s ago.

Set up the new iPad Pro as a new device. Install the dev beta profile, reboot, install the beta, wipe the iPad and then plug it into iTunes to restore from the old one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro