• Welcome to the all-new iMore Forums! - We're still moving some things around, so you may see a few quirks here and there, but we're working on getting things fully completed as soon as possible. For now, take a look around, and if you run into any major issues, please let us know in this thread!

Best option for replacement


New member
Aug 6, 2012
I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

Someone spilled wated on my iphone 4 (I only had it for 4 months!). Now, my phone won't alert when I get text messages, sometimes it won't ring, etc. In short, I already took it to the Apple store, and they said they would replace it for $149. My question is, should I just get a new 4, upgrade to the 4s (think that is $200), or wait for the 5? WIll I even be eligible to upgrade to the 5, or will I have to pay full price (I just renewed my contract so no discount available there)? I was only thinking of going to the 4s because I hear it's faster, but other than that, I probably don't even use my 4 to the fullest potential.

I guess the real question is, will Apple even give me the opportunity to replace my 4 with a 5 for a little extra?


New member
Dec 15, 2008
No they will not give you that option.

Your only option really is to take the 4 they are offering at $150. If you want the 4S that will cost $650 since you already used your upgrade recently.


New member
Apr 27, 2011
Which wireless carrier do you use? If you have AT&T, they allow a partail subcity of $250 + the 2 year commitment price 6 months into your current contract. If it were me, though, I would probably take Apple up on their offer to replace your iPhone 4 at $149.