Best Email Client?

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I currently use Gmail as my main email and Yahoo for mail I dont really care about on my iPhone. No real issues with either. My only complaint is with Gmail. I have it set through exchange. When I delete the message it goes to "All Mail" folder. If I just try and delete it by just moving it from my inbox to "trash" it still ends stays in "All Mail". So I end up going into the "All Mail" Folder either on the phone or desktop and having to delete them again.

1. Does anyone know of a fix for this?
2. Recommendations, yahoo vs. gmail?
3. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about a hotmail/live account for the iphone 4?

Thanks in advance!

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I am a Gmail user and I have my email setup through PushMail (app). There is a lot of customization in the app for filters etc., but I use it primarily just for reading emails, it pushes instantly and I have not had one single problem with it... For composing mail I just use the stock email client, which I have set to manual retrieval of messages which I don't use.

Also, for better inbox tools, you could use the gmail mobile site for your email, which gives you access to labels/archive etc. Pushmail gives you the option to open your messages in the mobile site, so you get the best of both worlds, instant, reliable push, and functionality of the mobile gmail.

Reactions: bgl321

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am a Gmail user and I have my email setup through PushMail (app). There is a lot of customization in the app for filters etc., but I use it primarily just for reading emails, it pushes instantly and I have not had one single problem with it... For composing mail I just use the stock email client, which I have set to manual retrieval of messages which I don't use.

Also, for better inbox tools, you could use the gmail mobile site for your email, which gives you access to labels/archive etc. Pushmail gives you the option to open your messages in the mobile site, so you get the best of both worlds, instant, reliable push, and functionality of the mobile gmail.

What about your calendar then? Do you have that set up through Exchange? I know the gmail app doesnt offer either calendar or contacts (cant remember which) and that's why I use exchange.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
gmail doesnt offer contacts, but if you have a pc. you can sync your contacts thru itunes using gmail.

Incorrect, you can sync all Google contacts through Exchange with the iPhone via Google Sync.

To the OP, I use Hotmail via Exchange as well and it works fine; at least equally reliable as Gmail. Although I don't really delete emails, only junk ones. I just mark as read and leave everything in the inbox so I can't really help with your categorization needs.

Last edited:

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
What about your calendar then? Do you have that set up through Exchange? I know the gmail app doesnt offer either calendar or contacts (cant remember which) and that's why I use exchange.

I use an app from the app store called Week Calendar, because I hate that the stock calendar doesn't have a week view, and it syncs with my google calendar via the stock configuration. Week Calendar uses events from the stock calendar, just displays them differently/better and provides more customization.

This gives me a nice calendar setup that syncs across all my devices via google. Works great.

Stvy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
You are using the regular mail app? Wasn't sure if you meant you retrieve your mail by exchange app or that you just retrieve your gmail through another account. If that's the case go to settings>mail, contacts, calendars go to the corresponding account and shut off archive messages. I get email from a couple accounts through my gmail and this took care of that problem.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am trying hotmail (live). It's syncing and pushing well. No issues and no having to delete emails twice. The calendar and contacts work/sync/push great as well. Never thought I'd leave my gmail, but it's looking good so far. Thanks for all the input.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal