Best bluetooth headset to use while running with Apple Watch

littlebib

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
One would hope sweat doesn't cause issues for earbuds made specifically for sport. Sorry you had those issues.

My ears are oddly sized. I actually have to wear a different sized bud for each ear. Guess I'm lopsided. They stay in fine for me once I get them properly locked in. If I don't, they're guaranteed to come out early in my runs.

I'm waiting for the arrival of my Vi, which is a Kickstarter project I backed. Hoping it replaces both my LG Tones and my Bluebuds X.

I may have toxic sweat or something but I went through 4 pairs of the X2. The last set actually had a brown substance come out of them (I'm assuming sweat got into the battery). Customer support has been really good as they've replaced them each time. This past time they actually changed me over to the Freedoms which, so far, I'm actually liking better. I couldn't get them to fit in the "over the ear style" but in the standard fitting they actually fit better than the X2 ever did.

I really like being able to run without my phone. That's quite nice for shorter runs. My only complaint is that I usually listen to books with doesn't sync over. I think you have to make them music files and then I would end up in different places between the phone and watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
imwjl said:
It took 1.5 days for my answer to be AirPods.

YES! That bodes well. I couldn't shake them out at a demo at an Apple Store. As I don't run, they should never fall out.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
So are the air pods different shape to the normal ear plus? they don't suit my ears and one side falls out. Forget it a 6 week wait here still. I have been using Jabra sport but are average sound and not very comfortable, also can't get sound low enough.
I walk fast up to 6ks with my dogs so might try the powerbeats 3 as they have the hook for ears.

Edit: Just ordered the BeatsX from Apple so can return if i don't like or fit. Reviews seem good.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So are the air pods different shape to the normal ear plus? they don't suit my ears and one side falls out. Forget it a 6 week wait here still. I have been using Jabra sport but are average sound and not very comfortable, also can't get sound low enough.
I walk fast up to 6ks with my dogs so might try the powerbeats 3 as they have the hook for ears.

Edit: Just ordered the BeatsX from Apple so can return if i don't like or fit. Reviews seem good.

They don't look much different but the they stay in when my std Apple earphones fall out of one ear. They're in a whole other league via no cords and not sealing out your surroundings.

The beats are good but I want that other league I described - no cords and not sealing out your surroundings.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
They don't look much different but the they stay in when my std Apple earphones fall out of one ear. They're in a whole other league via no cords and not sealing out your surroundings.

The beats are good but I want that other league I described - no cords and not sealing out your surroundings.

Good points, they wouldn't be noise cancelling like the Bose QC35 I have, or are they? The AirPods maybe if they were black.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Good points, they wouldn't be noise cancelling like the Bose QC35 I have, or are they? The AirPods maybe if they were black.

The AirPods and QC35 are very different and not electronic noise canceling headphones.

AFIK the in ear beats are only noise canceling to the extent they seal where AirPods do not.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The AirPods and QC35 are very different and not electronic noise canceling headphones.

AFIK the in ear beats are only noise canceling to the extent they seal where AirPods do not.

I would never want to use noise canceling headphones while running for safety reasons. I want to hear what's going on around me on the roads and want to know if someone is running up behind me.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I would never want to use noise canceling headphones while running for safety reasons. I want to hear what's going on around me on the roads and want to know if someone is running up behind me.

Exactly why I prefer the AirPods and EarPods before them.

I'd only use the sealed type outside or in public when safety via surroundings would not be an issue. They do have the advantage as far as mist impressive sound but AirPods are very good.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Powerbeats 2. Only ones I've found that sty securely in place while running/doing activities. Very light and connection has always been great.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site

I walk my dogs on the road so need to hear traffic etc, so what else is there besides air pods that are good and not noice cancelling, 6 week wait here for AirPods.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I walk my dogs on the road so need to hear traffic etc, so what else is there besides air pods that are good and not noice cancelling, 6 week wait here for AirPods.
As I said earlier in the thread, Plantronics Backbeat Fit. 8 hour battery life, ear hooks keep them in place, they do not block your ear canal, water/sweat resistant. Far less expensive than Air Pods or Beats.

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2907848

There are other colors beside the green BTW.

(Note: I followed the recommendation of The Wirecutter on this.)

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
As I said earlier in the thread, Plantronics Backbeat Fit. 8 hour battery life, ear hooks keep them in place, they do not block your ear canal, water/sweat resistant. Far less expensive than Air Pods or Beats.

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2907893

There are other colors beside the green BTW.

(Note: I followed the recommendation of The Wirecutter on this.)

I've had these. Loved them except they did not fit my tiny ears. The hooks were way too big and not adjustable. I had to return them.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Thinking of trying the powerbeats 3, with the hooks should be able to have them sit on outside of ears and not plugged inside, anyone have/tried these?

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of trying the powerbeats 3, with the hooks should be able to have them sit on outside of ears and not plugged inside, anyone have/tried these?

I haven't, but a friend has them and loves them. Can't speak from personal experience, though.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I haven't, but a friend has them and loves them. Can't speak from personal experience, though.

Cheers, I have a pair of Jabra sport i got cheap half price, just realised i can adjust the volume on the watch ;) which was my main problem i couldn't get the sound low enough on the Jabra, when i walk my dogs we have no footpaths so i go on side of roads and i need to hear cars etc, it's a learning curve. They have a FM radio too which is handy.
There not the best sound but don't block out noise so might just stick with them as that's all i need them for, have Bose QC35 for the house/travel.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I use either my Powerbeats 3s or my AirPods. Both work great while running. They allow enough outside road noise in but let me hear my music.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Cladster said:
they wouldn't be noise cancelling like the Bose QC35 I have

Correct. The AirPods aren't even noise-isolating earphones because the don't seal against the ear. Because of individual variations of the outer portion of the auditory canal, the AirPods might block a little more sound ambient sound for some people than others, but it still won't be much.

Generally, that's a plus, allowing you to have a little more situational awareness should you take advantage of it. The down side is that some people tend to turn up the volume to overcome ambient sound/noise and extended higher volume levels can and do cause some permanent hearing loss.

imwjl said:

Also correct. That passive 'noise-cancelling' is usually referred to as noise-isolating.

eyecrispy said:
I want to hear what's going on around me on the roads and want to know if someone is running up behind me.

Using noise-cancelling headphones would be pretty similar to using earbuds that seal well. I've used both on the street for comparison, and good sound isolation headphones actually pose more of a threat, in my experience. Active noise cancellation works well against steady state sounds but if there is some anomalous sound they don't do much to suppress it. Sealed earbuds suppress everything pretty well. I think hearing somebody running behind you would be very near equally tough. At least too tough to recommend either. But that's a judgement call.

imwjl said:
Exactly why I prefer the AirPods and EarPods before them.

I'd only use the sealed type outside or in public when safety via surroundings would not be an issue.

FTW!

akutch34 said:
Powerbeats 2. Only ones I've found that sty securely in place while running/doing activities.

This is why everyone should try their transducers of choice before buying, or be prepared to return them if they don't work. For me, EarBuds and AirPods stay in my ears very well. The AirPods feel like a better fit and don't have the extra weight of cords dangling and bouncing.

I have a further advantage over all of you— I don't run. HAH! :D

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
This is why everyone should try their transducers of choice before buying, or be prepared to return them if they don't work. For me, EarBuds and AirPods stay in my ears very well. The AirPods feel like a better fit and don't have the extra weight of cords dangling and bouncing.

I have a further advantage over all of you— I don't run. HAH! :D

Unfortunately Air Pods and Ear Pods hurt too much and fall out constantly. Can't keep them in just sitting around, never mind walking or exercising.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Today the same wind that wanted my hat wanted knock out an AirPod. I was surprised that little white stub caught air. It was 25 MPH with huger gusts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods