Best bluetooth headset to use while running with Apple Watch

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hate to admit it but I'm really enjoying the Powerbeats 3.

For $200, I don't know. With the $150 in Apple gift cards I had, absolutely.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have used the PowerBeats 2 for the last couple years and been very happy. I just picked up the AirPods a couple weeks ago and I use them for everything now. They have yet to fall out of my ears regardless of what I am doing and they are very light and comfortable.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
cwbcpa said:
I just picked up the AirPods a couple weeks ago and I use them for everything now.

That's my game plan. I tried them out in an Apple Store and they're everything I hoped they'd be. Put 'em in and shook my head like a Labrador walking out of a stream and not even a jiggle in my ears.

Can't wait to get mine!

sgchick

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
I also tried the AirPods at my apple store, and they seemed to fit very well...But I worry too much about losing them at work on the road (Fedex courier), jumping in and out of the truck. I ended up getting the beats x. First "wireless" I've ever had. Loving them so far! The beats x aren't sweat proof though, so we will see how that goes. Besides everyday use, I will be using them mainly for hiking. :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I also tried the AirPods at my apple store, and they seemed to fit very well...But I worry too much about losing them at work on the road (Fedex courier), jumping in and out of the truck. I ended up getting the beats x. First "wireless" I've ever had. Loving them so far! The beats x aren't sweat proof though, so we will see how that goes. Besides everyday use, I will be using them mainly for hiking. :)

If the Beats X don't work out, I strongly recommend the Plantronics Backbeat Fit. Fantastic earbuds, 8 hour battery. (They don't block out outside sounds, though, which I want). No fancy pairing with the W1 chip like AirPods and Beats X, but still - great exercise earbuds.

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2900133

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

While I have not had them fall out, I think I would have the same concern if I were jumping in and out of truck all day. You have enough on your mind without having to worry about losing an AirPod. the Beats X look great and were probably a better choice in your case. Let us know what you think of them.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
That's my game plan. I tried them out in an Apple Store and they're everything I hoped they'd be. Put 'em in and shook my head like a Labrador walking out of a stream and not even a jiggle in my ears.

Can't wait to get mine!

I haven't had the chance to try the AirPods yet, but I plan to. I really want them in black though, so I'm waiting for that.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
My update with regards to my wireless Bose Soundsport headphones is I have now experienced connection issues with them, not yet while out running but definitely in the gym. They've been playing fine then lost the connection to the watch; they find the watch again ok but you have to restart playback yourself. Will have to see if it was them having a bad day or if I'm going to fall out with them.

Some time has passed since I wrote this but it sadly seems to be holding true. Don't know if it's the proximity of other electronic devices but the combo of Bose SoundSport and AW works better outside than in the gym. Given that I've stopped using the AW for running and stopped using the Bose in the gym, it's not been money well spent all around.

I have AirPods and they're nice being completely cable free but I don't have AirPod shaped ears so they're no good (for me) for running and don't offer the sound isolation I really want at my desk or on a train. You can tell what sort of a day I'm having at work if I'm wearing the cable free AirPods or the isolation of my Bose QC20s (which of course have cables so no help to anyone here!). My QC20s are the best headphones I've ever owned but no good for AW as they have a cable.

Bose have launched some new Bluetooth in ear headphones with isolation (I forget their name) but I need to be assured that they won't flake out at the gym like the SoundSports do. Will have to see how confident Bose are in their new product and if they offer no quibble returns because my imperfect headphone collection is getting out of hand!!!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I really want them in black though, so I'm waiting for that.

I think you'll have better luck with Krylon than the wait. I don't see them ever being available in colors at all. That's probably what Beats are for.

They look fine in white, to me. But putting some black or other color tubing over the booms might make them more acceptable to some wearers. For those who worry about them being recognized as AirPods, they could be painted pale pink to resemble hearing aids. :laughing:

There are entrepreneurs who are making lanyards for the AirPods. Maybe they'll make covers in colors and/or designs. AirCups? AirSkins? Somebody call speck!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Bose have launched some new Bluetooth in ear headphones with isolation (I forget their name) but I need to be assured that they won't flake out at the gym like the SoundSports do. Will have to see how confident Bose are in their new product and if they offer no quibble returns because my imperfect headphone collection is getting out of hand!!!

Have you considered the Beats X? I'm thinking that with the W1 chip it would be less prone to the problems you've experienced with the Bose.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I think you'll have better luck with Krylon than the wait. I don't see them ever being available in colors at all. That's probably what Beats are for.

They look fine in white, to me. But putting some black or other color tubing over the booms might make them more acceptable to some wearers. For those who worry about them being recognized as AirPods, they could be painted pale pink to resemble hearing aids. :laughing:

There are entrepreneurs who are making lanyards for the AirPods. Maybe they'll make covers in colors and/or designs. AirCups? AirSkins? Somebody call speck!

You may be right but I hope you're wrong. Apple has a history of offering accessories in new colors in years following the product introduction. In no case would I want some 3rd party add-on.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Have you considered the Beats X? I'm thinking that with the W1 chip it would be less prone to the problems you've experienced with the Bose.
I think I'd be more likely to go with the PowerBeats 3 than the Beats X, but your general point is still completely valid, the W1 chip might make the difference. I guess the thing is that I know that I like the sound and the fit of Bose headphones, both of which would be unknowns with Beats. The Beats might stay connected better and then fail the comfort or sound test when I'm out running. I think I'd want the same no quibble trial of them as buying lots of pricey headphones that each have a different shortcoming is starting to take a toll on my bank account!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I think I'd be more likely to go with the PowerBeats 3 than the Beats X, but your general point is still completely valid, the W1 chip might make the difference. I guess the thing is that I know that I like the sound and the fit of Bose headphones, both of which would be unknowns with Beats. The Beats might stay connected better and then fail the comfort or sound test when I'm out running. I think I'd want the same no quibble trial of them as buying lots of pricey headphones that each have a different shortcoming is starting to take a toll on my bank account!

If you bought BeatsX from Apple, you would have their standard 14 day return policy.

If I didn't have the Jaybirds, I would definitely try the BeatsX.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I had Jaybirds (Bluebuds X Sport) a few years ago, but the battery stopped holding a charge after less than 18 months. Very disappointing.

Hmm. My bluebuds x still going strong and I think I've had them close to 3 years.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
We have AirPods on order and got JayBird Freedoms on a super deal. They work absolutely as advertised but needed their phone app to tune well and get good sound. They were SO much less than any of the W1 offerings that I have to think one gets diminishing returns with those except for AirPods that promise to have good performance with one unit and phone use.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. My bluebuds x still going strong and I think I've had them close to 3 years.

That's great. I know that I was the only one who had problems with them, though: Jaybird Bluebuds X: A Bluetooth headset to avoid - TechRepublic

I did use mine an average of 80 minutes a day, but I would hope that a battery that should last 8 hours could last longer than mine did. I suspect that my issue, like Jack Wallen's in that tech republic story, was that the battery or charging equipment got wet from sweat/rain. I also have to say that I could never find an earbud size that stayed in well; they fell out a lot on me, no matter which size I tried.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That's great. I know that I was the only one who had problems with them, though: Jaybird Bluebuds X: A Bluetooth headset to avoid - TechRepublic

I did use mine an average of 80 minutes a day, but I would hope that a battery that should last 8 hours could last longer than mine did. I suspect that my issue, like Jack Wallen's in that tech republic story, was that the battery or charging equipment got wet from sweat/rain. I also have to say that I could never find an earbud size that stayed in well; they fell out a lot on me, no matter which size I tried.

One would hope sweat doesn't cause issues for earbuds made specifically for sport. Sorry you had those issues.

My ears are oddly sized. I actually have to wear a different sized bud for each ear. Guess I'm lopsided. They stay in fine for me once I get them properly locked in. If I don't, they're guaranteed to come out early in my runs.

I'm waiting for the arrival of my Vi, which is a Kickstarter project I backed. Hoping it replaces both my LG Tones and my Bluebuds X.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro