Battery woes: had luck with restoring as new?

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
After reading pages and pages of stuff on numerous websites, there are tons of ways that suggest how to help out a quick dying battery. Often suggested are deleting exchange email accounts and performing a full restore as new iphone. Lately i have been losing 10% an hour on standby and light use. I can watch the battery indicator dwindle down 1% every 4 mins or so while light texting.

Lately, Ive noticed a quick decline in battery life (I had it on 5.1.1 and now on 6 beta 3). Once I unplug from the charger at 100%, within 15 mins, it drops to 99% without any use. a reboot brings it back to 100% and stays there awhile. Im at my wits end with the battery life on this thing. I feel we shouldnt have to turn EVERYTHING off just to get decent battery life. Before I restore as new, I tried turning off two exchange email addresses i have to see if that helps, also turned off the time zone GPS thing, ping and wifi sync. No matter what we do, it just seems like its all garbage. Some people swear they found the ultimate fix, other say these things didnt help. Can anyone truly say a restore as new and starting from scratch really helps?

So far with 3 exchange emails inactive, Im getting the following stats which seem like an improvement so far.

Usage: 54 min
Standby: 2h 35min
Battery: 97%

Usually by now, I would probably be around 92% and tanking by the minute.

On a side note, I can have my ipod touch 4th gen, same OS and all settings normal, all emails active and leave it unplugged all day and it will still be on 100% hours later and connected to wifi. What gives?? its stats are...

Usage: 56 mins
Standby: 11h, 0 min
Battery: 95%

Last edited:

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
WiFi turns off after some time on the iPhone and iPod Touch, but you always have Cell network on the iPhone, plus more power hungry processors. My best advice would be to either:

1) Jailbreak and use Battery Doctor Pro/Auto3G/iControl. all of these apps allow you to switch your cell network from 3G to edge/GSM after a certain time, and automatically turn on 3G when phone's in use. I have iControl and it's awesome.

2) turn off 3G and use WiFi whenever you can. I have my 2G network on with wifi most of the day as if you turn off cellular data you will not receive MMS.

I use to stress out about battery, but honestly if you can get a whole days use after 6-7 hours of actual usage on 3G/WiFi, then theres nothing to complain. Just charge the thing.

Just in case you need more juice, I have one of these and they work great!

SUNSKY - 1800mAh Smooth Ultra Thin Design External Battery Backup Power Case with Kickstand for iPhone 4 & 4S (Black)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
After reading pages and pages of stuff on numerous websites, there are tons of ways that suggest how to help out a quick dying battery. Often suggested are deleting exchange email accounts and performing a full restore as new iphone. Lately i have been losing 10% an hour on standby and light use. I can watch the battery indicator dwindle down 1% every 4 mins or so while light texting.

Lately, Ive noticed a quick decline in battery life (I had it on 5.1.1 and now on 6 beta 3). Once I unplug from the charger at 100%, within 15 mins, it drops to 99% without any use. a reboot brings it back to 100% and stays there awhile. Im at my wits end with the battery life on this thing. I feel we shouldnt have to turn EVERYTHING off just to get decent battery life. Before I restore as new, I tried turning off two exchange email addresses i have to see if that helps, also turned off the time zone GPS thing, ping and wifi sync. No matter what we do, it just seems like its all garbage. Some people swear they found the ultimate fix, other say these things didnt help. Can anyone truly say a restore as new and starting from scratch really helps?

So far with 3 exchange emails inactive, Im getting the following stats which seem like an improvement so far.

Usage: 54 min
Standby: 2h 35min
Battery: 97%

Usually by now, I would probably be around 92% and tanking by the minute.

On a side note, I can have my ipod touch 4th gen, same OS and all settings normal, all emails active and leave it unplugged all day and it will still be on 100% hours later and connected to wifi. What gives?? its stats are...

Usage: 56 mins
Standby: 11h, 0 min
Battery: 95%

Your battery seems normal to me.

Are you using the iOS 6 beta? If so then expect worse battery life.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
well im still tempted to do a full restore and set up as new iphone. has anyone truly had luck with that?

i have always been and big advocate for doing this and i feel that it does help. the key here is that you are truly setting up as new - no backup whatsoever

also, you always have the option to try this way for a while and if you see no difference then just load your latest backup

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just restored my 4 and set up as new. If it does help the battery life, I'll let you know.

EDIT: Didn't seem to help much, if at all. Wifi use was draining my battery at 1% per every 1-2 minutes.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I just restored my 4 and set up as new. If it does help the battery life, I'll let you know.

EDIT: Didn't seem to help much, if at all. Wifi use was draining my battery at 1% per every 1-2 minutes.

i hope you are not posting your findings while using beta software..

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Like two of us had said, with a beta version of the OS battery life will likely not be the same as release version. Your battery also IMO appears normal anyway. That's how much power these phones use. You will probably get 4-6 hours of actual screen on usage time. The radios and the screen take a lot of power.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen