Battery percentage only goes to 97%, should I get a replacement?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think if this is the problem you are having you should power cycle your battery meaning let it drain until your phone turns off at least once a month. The battery has to be used just like the phone to get full charge out of it even though it does not carry a memory like the old Ni Cads.

SteveyAsp

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried switching it off and then back on again after it's fully charged? Quite often I'll put mine on to charge overnight but when I wake it's on 98 or 99%.
When I reboot it though it goes up to 100%

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
[URL="https://www.apple.com/batteries/#mn_p]Apple - Batteries[/URL]

Standard Charging

Most lithium-ion polymer batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. That’s about two hours of charge time to power an iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge it, if you are not using the iPod while charging. You can charge all lithium-ion batteries a large but finite number of times, as defined by charge cycle.
index_chargecycles20051011.gif

Charge Cycle. Using and recharging 100% of battery capacity equals one full charge cycle.

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity.

[URL="https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p]Apple - Batteries - iPhone[/URL]

Charge Cycles

A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to [URL="https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/#mn_p]replace your battery[/URL] when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

SandeepRoy

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I've read different opinions on the Battery University web site. Whether Lithium-ion or Lithium-polymer they recommend an initial or required calibration via complete charge/discharge cycle of the battery, such that meter displays the charge correctly. Beyond that, they do not recommend over-charging or a complete discharge.Then, there is the issue of charging methods & smart batteries which stop charging once they are full. I remain confused as ever with so many different opinions.
Here is a link for your perusal - 1. Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm facing a similar problem. Is this software problem or hardware ? Please help me.

Probably a way the chip in the battery is giving the information iOS. So, let it drain until the iPhone dies, goes completely dead. Then let it charge 100% without using it. (Usually overnight charging works best). That’s what i was told and it fixed for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm facing a similar problem. Is this software problem or hardware ? Please help me.

Make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose and fix the problem for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2