• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Battery Life on the newest models--

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I need to replace my Mac which is basically on fumes right now, waiting to catch on fire.

I am debating between maxxing out a MBP or doing the unthinkable and getting a PC Laptop custom built so that I can expand it as needed.

How is the battery life on the MBP in your experience? Especially if you've really maxxed it out with power and memory? One of the builds we discussed with the guy who builds my husband's gaming rigs would give it a TON of power, weigh a million pounds, and only have 2-3 hours battery life (that's stupid.)

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Apple says MacBook Pros last up to 10 hours playing movies or web surfing.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/specs/#mn_p

PCWorld more or less confirmed this.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/315...d-the-macbook-pros-terrible-battery-life.html

Their tests found a bug that has been fixed. They also found if you've got the screen brightness cranked up, the time drops to about 6 hours. With a little care, you could reasonably expect to get a 8+ hours of battery unless you're gaming. When playing Tomb Raider, PCWorld got 80 minutes of battery.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a maxed out 2017 model and the battery life is fantastic. I can easily get through an entire day on mine. There is also zero drain when the computer sleeps. I've kept mine on standby for days before and the battery hasn't moved except maybe 1 percent.

jeraldjamescapao88

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
I have a maxed out 2017 model and the battery life is fantastic. I can easily get through an entire day on mine. There is also zero drain when the computer sleeps. I've kept mine on standby for days before and the battery hasn't moved except maybe 1 percent.

Nice to know this, because I turned off ”Power Nap” feature on Energy Saver settings because I am afraid that the system uses a lot of battery even the MacBook is in sleep mode.

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I need to replace my Mac which is basically on fumes right now, waiting to catch on fire.

I am debating between maxxing out a MBP or doing the unthinkable and getting a PC Laptop custom built so that I can expand it as needed.

How is the battery life on the MBP in your experience? Especially if you've really maxxed it out with power and memory? One of the builds we discussed with the guy who builds my husband's gaming rigs would give it a TON of power, weigh a million pounds, and only have 2-3 hours battery life (that's stupid.)

Which MacBook Pro do you have? I have a 2012 13” and it’s running really really slowly. Turns out I need a new hard drive cable, I’ll be getting one tomorrow from amazon.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Which MacBook Pro do you have? I have a 2012 13” and it’s running really really slowly. Turns out I need a new hard drive cable, I’ll be getting one tomorrow from amazon.

I don't have one yet. I have an iMac and a tower, both are about to light on fire. We backburnered the purchase because I could not pick something I was happy with. Apple is losing me because I cannot open the laptop up and expand it, and the PCs that have enough expansion/power are HUGE.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, here's mine. I can get a full day at work (Office apps and Safari) with brightness around 75-89%.

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 10.47.19 AM.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramzesenok