Battery life of iphone 5s

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
yzu4y4ym.jpg

I think this is the best that I have gotten with mixed usage a lot of phone calls mostly on 4g but wifi being on the whole time looking for a connection.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I do a lot of video streaming on my S4 and I tore through my battery faster on an average day at work, which required battery swaps before I hit home, while my 5S got through the day on the same usage, again video streaming, allowing me to plug in the charger when I reach home at about 10 percent.

That to me shows that in a real world scenario Apple came up on top. One could attribute that to any form of theoretical reasoning but in a real world test I found the iPhone 5S to be more resilient. Maybe it's because of how iOS doesn't allow notifications and background actions freely nilly.

Do note I usually do the same things on my phones everyday. Can't really argue with the consistency I find on both phones. IPhones have smaller batteries, yes, but if I'm getting about the same or even better battery life in some cases over the far bigger battery of the S4, I must say Samsung really has to address the battery management much like Motorola did on their Moto phones.

I attribute Android phones of the past, for example, the S2s and the generations before to be on par with battery lives of iPhones because their specs aren't that high compared to the S4s of today. Of course they are going to have better battery lives than probably the iPhone 5s.

Whatever it is, it still remains that iOS manages battery better than most Android forks or variants.

No offense, but what you're saying makes literally no sense and has no technical basis to it. The processors in the S2 used more power than the more powerful quad-core processors in today's devices. LTE radios back in 2011 were absolutely terrible for battery usage. Additionally, the QC processors that were being used in devices like the S3 US Variants were WAY more power efficient than the Exynos and S3 processors used in the S2. You're saying that those 45nm Dual Core processors back then, and 1st gen LTE radios were on par with the wildly more efficient 28nm processors and LTE radios that followed them. It makes, literally, no sense whatsoever. Additionally, SoCs like Exynos don't have integrated LTE modems (and those variants didn't have LTE at all back then, so they weren't necessarily directly comparable to the S3's we were buying in the US the following year).

There is no battery benchmark that states the S2 got better battery life than an S3 (and certainly not an S4) because it didn't. So it's a complete oxymoron that you'd say "of course they got better battery life than an iPhone, thanks to their lower specs" when their are being easily (and quite handily) outperformed by their upgrades in battery performance...

Secondly, the iPhone tends to stream very lower resolution video from websites and even apps like YouTube tend to default to a lower streaming resolution to iPhones than to higher resolution/larger display Android devices (never mind the codecs that maybe served to the device may differ from device to device). Web video is clearly lower resolution because I did a side by side with a Droid Maxx next to the 5S (5" 720p AMOLED), for example, and it was quite visible... So your comparing video streaming on one device to another isn't even an apples to apples comparison. This is why video rundown tests use offline video, but even those tests are fairly useless with controlled brightness, use of WiFi for the whole time, etc. which completely ignores the fact that the power consumption of other components in the device (like the cell radio, etc.) may actually be better in one and worse in the other. These are conditions that don't even began to mirror the way the average person uses or sets up their device.

I had the Galaxy S1, S2, S3, other half has the S4. I had the iPhone 5S (VZW). I have the Note III. The 5S wasn't on par with the S3, S4, or Note III for battery life. That being said, the iPhone is able to make do with a smaller battery because the OS is coded in a way that doesn't tax the CPU as much due to backgrounding limits on apps among other things. However, under heavy active use I do not find them to be great.

They do have exceptional standby times, though, which sort of exacerbates the issue. Battery Life to me is primarily on-screen time. The time I'm actually using the phone with the screen on. It's been a long time since I've used a phone that actually had factorable drain while sitting on a table idle. It's all about how it lasts under use, and that's where the bigger batteries really come into their own.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No offense, but what you're saying makes literally no sense and has no technical basis to it. The processors in the S2 used more power than the more powerful quad-core processors in today's devices. LTE radios back in 2011 were absolutely terrible for battery usage. Additionally, the QC processors that were being used in devices like the S3 US Variants were WAY more power efficient than the Exynos and S3 processors used in the S2. You're saying that those 60nm Dual Core processors back then, and 1st gen LTE radios were on par with the wildly more efficient 28nm processors and LTE radios that followed them. It makes, literally, no sense whatsoever.

There is no battery benchmark that states the S2 got better battery life than an S3 (and certainly not an S4) because it didn't. So it's a complete oxymoron that you'd say "of course they got better battery life than an iPhone" when their are being easily outperformed by their upgrades in battery performance...

Secondly, the iPhone tends to stream very lower resolution video from websites and even apps like YouTube. Web video is clearly lower resolution because I did a side by side with a Droid Maxx next to the 5S (5" 720p AMOLED), for example, so your comparing video streaming on one device to another isn't even an apples to apples comparison. This is why video rundown tests use offline video, but even those tests are pretty bad with controlled brightness, use of WiFi for the whole time, etc. which completely ignores the fact that the power consumption of other components in the device (like the cell radio, etc.) may actually be better in one and worse in the other.

I had the Galaxy S1, S2, S3, other half has the S4. I had the iPhone 5S (VZW). I have the Note III. The 5S wasn't on par with the S3, S4, or Note III for battery life.

I force HD on YouTube on iOS, enjoy the same kind of content there, but I still got through the day on the same usage while I would struggle on the S4 as I head home.

It doesn't mean your experience is better or mine is better, but I'm just saying what you claim to be wouldn't be true for everyone.

While, yes, the Qualcomm processors in the S4 are far more efficient than that of the S2, but keep in mind that Android has to have a much bigger battery capacity to compensate for the bigger screen sizes and clock speeds than an IPhone would need.

I like that Apple could achieve comparable (at least) battery life with a far smaller battery.

Lets level, if you think Android has the right mix to help your productivity, I can absolutely identify with that, being in your shoes once, but don't start defending the whole shop just because you think Android is better FOR you. What is better FOR you isn't better for EVERYONE. There's no need to argue from top to toe about these things.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I force HD on YouTube on iOS, enjoy the same kind of content there, but I still got through the day on the same usage while I would struggle on the S4 as I head home.

It doesn't mean your experience is better or mine is better, but I'm just saying what you claim to be wouldn't be true for everyone.

You can't force HD on a Web feed when the stream is clearly lower resolution (and thus much less data to transfer) on the iPhone. Some things aren't fixable (out of the box) but do help give the look of better power management.

Most people I know complain about their iPhone. They aren't even usable at my rink because they shut themselves off in the cold, lol. It the battery is dead in a couple hours of sitting there due to them dealing badly with temperatures my S3 laughed at.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You can't force HD on a Web feed when the stream is clearly lower resolution (and thus much less data to transfer) on the iPhone. Some things aren't fixable (out of the box) but do help give the look of better power management.

Most people I know complain about their iPhone. They aren't even usable at my rink because they shut themselves off in the cold, lol. It the battery is dead in a couple hours of sitting there due to them dealing badly with temperatures my S3 laughed at.

Firstly I use the official YouTube app.

Secondly you are stating that Samsung phones work better in the extreme conditions than iPhones. That's great, use your Samsung Galaxy phones.

Real question is what are you trying to prove with your statements exactly, just say it out for everyone. What's your whole point here?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Firstly I use the official YouTube app.

Secondly you are stating that Samsung phones work better in the extreme conditions than iPhones. That's great, use your Samsung Galaxy phones.

Real question is what are you trying to prove with your statements exactly, just say it out for everyone. What's your whole point here?

What was your point in saying the S2 was better than the S4 for power management because of lower specs?

Did it just sound right since the iPhone has a small better and that would have been a good way to back up your statement, if it made any sense, or were you serious?

You also stated in another thread that the Note 3 needs a bigger battery because android is bad on batteries, which is false for many of the same reasons I've mentioned here.

The iPhone gets decent battery life in the confines of what it does and how it does it. But it is not the benchmark for good battery life. Not in 2012, 13, or 14.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
S2s uses less overall power than S4s = fact.

But the S4s have a bigger battery as well. It balances out. I'm just saying that even on lower generation Android phones they required more battery capacity to run for the same time an iPhone does.

In an equal world if every single phone had the same battery capacity I would say iOS devices will always run more efficiently. It doesn't even matter whose definition of efficient is correct, an iPhone or iPad would theoretically run longer if it had the same battery capacities as any other phone or tablet.

Lets sidestep a little and take an example, if you were a salesman and you had nothing to depend on except just the phone and its battery, and had no charging devices around.

You use a number of apps to look at a few documents, to edit them. Plus you make a few phone calls, make a few Instant messages, look at a few videos shown by clients, search the web for news or for information.

At the end of the day, you just happen to need to make one last call home to your wife but guess what, one phone does and the other doesn't, because the other phone died on him. Died!

Guess which phone the person is going to say is better, the one that didn't die! It doesn't matter what super duper superhero stuff the other phone does it's never going to be the best FOR HIM.

No matter what anyone says is the best wouldn't ever stand up to that experience. It never could.

Same case for you, when you mentioned how people complained about their phone dying at the rink. Same exact case.

Last edited:

nishant_42

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Battery drops a lot if I play games !just now checked !why is it happening like this ?battery drains a lot !i will show you my friends battery on 5s ..it's amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
S2s uses less overall power than S4s = fact.

But the S4s have a bigger battery as well. It balances out. I'm just saying that even on lower generation Android phones they required more battery capacity to run for the same time an iPhone does.

In an equal world if every single phone had the same battery capacity I would say iOS devices will always run more efficiently. It doesn't even matter whose definition of efficient is correct, an iPhone or iPad would theoretically run longer if it had the same battery capacities as any other phone or tablet.

Lets sidestep a little and take an example, if you were a salesman and you had nothing to depend on except just the phone and its battery, and had no charging devices around.

You use a number of apps to look at a few documents, to edit them. Plus you make a few phone calls, make a few Instant messages, look at a few videos shown by clients, search the web for news or for information.

At the end of the day, you just happen to need to make one last call home to your wife but guess what, one phone does and the other doesn't, because the other phone died on him. Died!

Guess which phone the person is going to say is better, the one that didn't die! It doesn't matter what super duper superhero stuff the other phone does it's never going to be the best FOR HIM.

No matter what anyone says is the best wouldn't ever stand up to that experience. It never could.

Same case for you, when you mentioned how people complained about their phone dying at the rink. Same exact case.

Umm fact from where? The GS2 LTE did not use less power than an GS3 and certainly not less than a 4. Link your source. That would be amazing to see.

Most of the Components in the S2 are inferior to its upgrades in power management and power usage.

The only part that may use less is the screen due to it being only WVGA resolution, but there was a 720p LTE variant which certainly didn't outlast the S3 or 4

The S3's battery is only 250 may bigger than the Skyrocket. The S4 is even bigger but it gets better battery life than the S3 (noticeably more) with the higher resolution screen and more sensors in the device.

The newer devices are all around more power efficient than the old devices. It isn't just about battery size.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't know how this got to talking about galaxy devices battery life but here is my usage today. No special settings auto brightness. Wifi and 4g on all day.

udu5ahu9.jpg

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Wifi 4g on all the time I think my background refresh is off except weather. Apps auto update. Auto screen brightness. Yesterday was a lot of listening to music and a lot of phone calls during the day and then an hour or so of tapatalk at night. I think the music is what helped the usage time. I usually get about 6:30 hours of usage with normal use

BB_Junky

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Try this:

1. Turn vol to vibrate
2. Insert device into pocket
3. Go on about your day enjoying life and the heck with worrying about letting a little thing ruin your day :)

They are smart phones, capable of doing so much and all crammed in a little package. 5-6 hrs isn't all that bad considering what we do with them and what we expect them to do for us. Sure you can turn everything off and use it manually for notifications .... But then why have a smartphone if your not or scared to use it right? Have a great day!

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD