Battery Issues

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Since updating to iOS 9.2, my battery has been all over the place. It dies at 4%, & when I plug it in to come back on its at 10%. Just now I unplugged it, it was at 19% then dropped to 14% in matter of secs. I tried the whole calibration thing, but I can't get it to 1%. Any other suggestions on what else I should do ? It also gets really hot at times.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What device are you using? If you're trying to calibrate iOS with the battery it's okay if it doesn't get to zero as long as you let it get to the point where it shuts off and then you let it charge to 100% without any interruption. That being said, it could be the battery itself. I had that problem with my iPhone 5 and it just turned out that my battery was shot. This is especially possible if you have an older device. If your phone is new and under warranty (or you have AppleCare+) take it in to an Apple Store or contact Apple Support.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
What device are you using? If you're trying to calibrate iOS with the battery it's okay if it doesn't get to zero as long as you let it get to the point where it shuts off and then you let it charge to 100% without any interruption. That being said, it could be the battery itself. I had that problem with my iPhone 5 and it just turned out that my battery was shot. This is especially possible if you have an older device. If your phone is new and under warranty (or you have AppleCare+) take it in to an Apple Store or contact Apple Support.

I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus. Okay, I'll give that a shot. If it doesn't work, then I'll go use this AppleCare. Thank u for your help.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus. Okay, I'll give that a shot. If it doesn't work, then I'll go use this AppleCare. Thank u for your help.

The Apple Store will probably just swap your phone out for you. They've always been awesome to me. As expensive as these phones are, it's usually cheaper to just give you a new one than to pay someone to troubleshoot and repair it.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
The Apple Store will probably just swap your phone out for you. They've always been awesome to me. As expensive as these phones are, it's usually cheaper to just give you a new one than to pay someone to troubleshoot and repair it.

I hope they do if that's the issue. Would it be easier to schedule a appointment or a walk in ?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I hope they do if that's the issue. Would it be easier to schedule a appointment or a walk in ?

Schedule an appointment. In my experience they'll take you if you walk in and they aren't busy but they can also make you come back later if they are.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just let it run down until it shuts off on it's own. Then charge it up to 100% and past that until it stops charging. That resets the % indicator to the battery. Or you could just turn the % indicator off in the status bar. Then you wouldn't notice it.

Chief G-Hawk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd follow Ledsteplin's advice first before making a genius bar appointment. I have my % indicator turned off on mine as I get very paranoid if I see it go down. So having it turned off helps me go through my day.

If you think it's still a problem after running it down till the phone turns itself off, then make an appointment and explain to them. I recommend making an appointment then doing a walk in because if there are walk-ins available you will end up waiting a lot longer then if you set up an appointment.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
There is no such thing as "calibrating" an iPhone Li-ion battery (the days of NiCad batteries are long gone), sounds like you have a software issue and a restore would be my first troubleshooting step. Try restoring to a backup via iTunes first, and if that doesn't work try a restore as-new..

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
There is no such thing as "calibrating" an iPhone Li-ion battery (the days of NiCad batteries are long gone), sounds like you have a software issue and a restore would be my first troubleshooting step. Try restoring to a backup via iTunes first, and if that doesn't work try a restore as-new..

Here we go again. Nobody is saying anything about calibrating the battery itself.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Here we go again. Nobody is saying anything about calibrating the battery itself.

Well there seem to be a few literally making up a procedure for "calibrating" the percentage indicator for the battery so there's that... but your first response is good other than I was pointing out that it is more likely an iOS software problem rather than a hardware one given the OP's description and a restore would be my first trouble-shooting step prior to taking a trip to an Apple Store...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The OP is! He is the first one to say 'calibration' and is definitely referring to the battery!

OP was speaking about a very common practice of draining the battery down and then recharging it so that the battery meter on the phone is better calibrated with the battery itself. At this point I think it would be pretty safe to say that's what people are referring to when they use that term. And does it really matter? OP is looking for advice on his battery issue and was just letting us know he had already tried that calibration technique.

jcb18

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I have done a clean install of iOS 9.2 a couple of times and even had Apple Genius Bar perform diagnostics on my iPhone 6 Plus battery, which came out clean, and am still experiencing battery issues. Genius Bar rep told me that it was a software bug that people have been experiencing. Should be fixed in next iOS update or so they said.

stridr69

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I would ask the Genius Bar folks to replace your phone if your having problems. Software bug issues is a cop out as the vast majority of users on 9.2 aren't having issues at all(myself included). And I have a 6s+ for the last 10 days(upgrade from 6+) and my phone has the usual kick-*** battery life. Maybe your having a rouge app that's using a lot of time running in the background(Facebook perhaps). Keep investigating...and keep us in the know. Perhaps you've found something new that others might need to know if they're having the same problems you're having....
Good Luck....:yes:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on 9.2, and not having battery issues. But, it's like I keep saying. It's mostly in your settings and what you do on the phone. I just try to enjoy my 6s Plus. I'm not going to watch the % indicator and worry myself over battery. It does fine.
Here's a battery test. Do this test. If it passes the test, then it's in your settings or what you do.
The Test:

Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute 3. If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm on 9.2, and not having battery issues. But, it's like I keep saying. It's mostly in your settings and what you do on the phone. I just try to enjoy my 6s Plus. I'm not going to watch the % indicator and worry myself over battery. It does fine.
Here's a battery test. Do this test. If it passes the test, then it's in your settings or what you do.
The Test:

Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute 3. If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Okay I'll give that a shot. Thanks

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
So far, I've turned off dark sky background use. Turned off all the settings under the App Store & uninstalled the beta. Battery is draining not as fast. Gonna try what Ledsteplin said. If that doesn't work, I'm going to  today