Back on a 6s plus from a 7 plus

manni1to

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Someone traded me their unlocked 128 GB mint condition 6s plus for my ATT locked 128 GB 7 plus and they gave me $160 on top. What do you think of the deal ?

manni1to

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Honestly- I use two phones. I have a pixel xl and also had the 7 plus. I like the idea of both phones being able to be unlocked and used on whatever line I want them on.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Att iPhone 7 and 7 plus can be used on all carriers so there's locked to att iPhone. I use one on tmo and Verizon and it's not even paid off.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Att iPhone 7 and 7 plus can be used on all carriers so there's locked to att iPhone. I use one on tmo and Verizon and it's not even paid off.

AT&T iPhone 7 and 7 Plus can only be used on GSM carriers (AT&T, TMO), not CDMA carriers (Verizon, Sprint).

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I brought it at bestbuy for use with att. I use my tmo sim and my jobs verizon sim with the phone all the time.

Hmmm...That has not been my understanding. For instance, there's an iMore article that states "So while you're fine if you need to use the phone with AT&T and T-Mobile, or most other GSM carriers around the world, if you decide to move to Verizon or Sprint, you'll need to shell out for a new phone." http://www.imore.com/how-buy-iphone-7-unlocked

Maybe I'm missing something?

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...That has not been my understanding. For instance, there's an iMore article that states "So while you're fine if you need to use the phone with AT&T and T-Mobile, or most other GSM carriers around the world, if you decide to move to Verizon or Sprint, you'll need to shell out for a new phone." http://www.imore.com/how-buy-iphone-7-unlocked

Are the phones at Best Buy att phones or are they selling the same phones Apple sell? I know if you get it from Apple it works on all carriers. Hmm

manni1to

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
That's funny because I tried to use a T-Mobile AND Verizon sim in the Att model I had (purchased at the Apple Store) and neither would work.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That's funny because I tried to use a T-Mobile AND Verizon sim in the Att model I had (purchased at the Apple Store) and neither would work.

I don't know what your doing wrong. The Apple iPhones are all unlocked and can be used on all 4 major carriers. It's was that way with my 7 but I got a really good discount with my new job and got a 7 plus from att. Only went to Best Buy and got on playment plan for the 200 gift card. My phone is not paid off but I use my old tmo number and my jobs Verizon accounts with this phone and they all work.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Which is normal, it's AT&T locked.
If it were VZW/SIM free, now you'd be good.

Because yes, it's possible to buy carrier locked iPhones at  Stores.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what your doing wrong. The Apple iPhones are all unlocked and can be used on all 4 major carriers. It's was that way with my 7 but I got a really good discount with my new job and got a 7 plus from att. Only went to Best Buy and got on playment plan for the 200 gift card. My phone is not paid off but I use my old tmo number and my jobs Verizon accounts with this phone and they all work.

Again, this isn't completely true. There are certainly locked iPhones that you can purchase with carrier commitments. Also, I did some further research and here's the deal:

Models purchased under AT&T or T-Mobile will ONLY work on GSM carriers.

Models purchased under Verizon or Sprint, or purchased SIM-free, will work on any of the networks.

These limitations aren't due to anything being locked or not but due to actual hardware limitations in the GSM models.

Here's some more info: https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2016/10/13/sim-free-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus/amp/ The internet overwhelmingly supports my findings.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Again, this isn't completely true. There are certainly locked iPhones that you can purchase with carrier commitments. Also, I did some further research and here's the deal:

Models purchased under AT&T or T-Mobile will ONLY work on GSM carriers.

Models purchased under Verizon or Sprint, or purchased SIM-free, will work on any of the networks.

These limitations aren't due to anything being locked or not but due to actual hardware limitations in the GSM models.

Here's some more info: https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2016/10/13/sim-free-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus/amp/ The internet overwhelmingly supports my findings.

I'm not denying your right. I'm saying they "said" it was a att phone when they sold it to me but I can use it on tmo and Verizon so I assumed it was unlocked for everything. Maybe Best Buy game me a sim unlocked one or a Verizon version not realizing they grabbed the wrong one.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I bet that in the discussions with Best Buy folks, the sales person heard AT&T and Verizon in the conversation and determined he should sell the Verizon phone which would work on GSM and CDMA carriers. That's the only thing that makes sense.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I bet that in the discussions with Best Buy folks, the sales person heard AT&T and Verizon in the conversation and determined he should sell the Verizon phone which would work on GSM and CDMA carriers. That's the only thing that makes sense.

You might be right. He probably wasn't supposed to but being a geek and listening to what I was gonna do with the phone probably went above and beyond to help a fellow geek.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen