Autocorrect- Is It Worth It?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Is autocorrect making you forget how to spell certain words since you're used to it correcting misspelled words. I've heard that it's happening to kids in some schools that have iPads for the students.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, it's not making me forget how to spell, but it does irk the heck out of me, on occasion, especially with "were and we're" as Keith stated above as well as "well and we'll". Still, it is a convenient tool despite its imperfections...:)

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
turn the bloody thing off ! you can see the results all over the interweb. after all you can always tap for ?suggest' if you're not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

gagmani

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
They should give keyboard settings in each keyboard individually. e.g. I want suggestions for French but not for English. But right now it is all or nothing. Autocorrect is enabled or disabled for all keyboards.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It is fine for me. I still know how to spell... Autocorrect usually isn't helping me spell... It's helping remove that extra letter I tapped on accident ;).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I feel at times it has improved my spelling. Going from my phone to a windows computer and not having it correct my spelling automatically is a battle sometimes haha

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

bgriff25

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
You gotta watch it.... for some reason, it likes to co-wreck "were" to "we're" on me... :)

The same thing happens to me occasionally. To fix it I went made my own keyboard shortcuts i.e wer=we're....were=were. This was one of my favorite BB features and I'm glad Apple adapted it for iOS.
As far as auto correct goes, I love it. I grew up when there were no computers or cell phones, :huh: so knowing how to spell isn't the problem as much as typing on glass. I think if it wasn't for auto correct I would have tossed my 4s through a window by now.

LMP_IOS

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I think sometimes it can help - I prefer selecting the word from the quick select bar rather that it autocorrecting.

I bet it can sometimes get you in trouble haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh