Augmented Reality Games

Elyjr

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I haven't seen any games yet for switch that takes advantage of the Switches portability like an AR (Augmented Reality) game.
The Switch don't have a camera which is very important for AR games, but the Joycons does have motion capabilities.
So I was thinking of a game that uses the Switch as a Window to another world, and use the motion controls to look around in real space like VR.
Of course you would have to use analog controls to move around, so you won't have people tripping over stuff.
This would be cool for rail shooters, bullet hell games, and adventure titles.
The switch is kinda heavy, so the levels can be short for you can rest your arms.
Dropping your switch can be a problem, but making a wrist strap for the whole unit can't be hard to develop.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I don't actually know if the Switch has Pokemon Go or anything similar, but because it's just released maybe they focused more on finishing the game they already have and later they will release some AR stuff.

dpouidp

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Don't AR games need at least a camera or lidar or radar or anything that can be used to recognize objects and their relation to one other?

Elyjr

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah AR requires a camera, but what I was thinking was not really AR, but VR without the visor. You would use the motion controls docked on the tablet as look\target controls to make the switch into a window.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't actually know if the Switch has Pokemon Go or anything similar, but because it's just released maybe they focused more on finishing the game they already have and later they will release some AR stuff.

While Pokémon Go will work on a Wi-Fi connection, it kinda needs a 3G or 4G connection to allow you to move around and make the game more playable and the Switch doesn't have that unfortunately. :(

Anything to do with VR I'm a supporter off. It's a very cool addition to gaming and makes the game fully immersive but i don't think a 720p screen would cut it. but who knows, Nintendo might have something up their sleeve. The Switch is full of possibilities especially with 3+ hours of game play. :)

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Kind of sad @Matty it doesn't already has that.

I'm open to believe it can be added with some external option like being connected to the phone or maybe an accessory, but looks like they mastered other areas and not the whole gaming options they could.

Let see if they release some accessories to correct the future path of it.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I haven't seen any games yet for switch that takes advantage of the Switches portability like an AR (Augmented Reality) game.
The Switch don't have a camera which is very important for AR games, but the Joycons does have motion capabilities.
So I was thinking of a game that uses the Switch as a Window to another world, and use the motion controls to look around in real space like VR.
Of course you would have to use analog controls to move around, so you won't have people tripping over stuff.
This would be cool for rail shooters, bullet hell games, and adventure titles.
The switch is kinda heavy, so the levels can be short for you can rest your arms.
Dropping your switch can be a problem, but making a wrist strap for the whole unit can't be hard to develop.

Thats actually a great idea! Looking forward also.

dpouidp

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I guess I don't understand your point about VR. What you describe seems like the control scheme for a first or third person shooter or action game that the Wii had used with the Wii-motes and nunchucks.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking, if the Nintendo Switch has USB OTG maybe a lot of stuff can be added to it, but so far I think the port is only for charging, anyone with one to know about it?

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking about that too and I don't think it does have GPS. Maybe they can add it and camera in a future revision of the console.

I feel like they tried this though early in the 3DS days and then just forgot about it!

Robert Newman4

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I think AR would open up a whole new world of location based gaming - so much potential and not just for collecting type games but also for story/adventure games.

GlassHasMass

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
A great ar game for the switch would be a game you play while in the car during a road trip. In the game you control a turret on a military car and the in game car moves in whatever direction the real life car moves.
That would be AMAZING!

bubble100100

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It doesn't have a back camera, so I don't think it would work. I prefer VR to AR myself, and the Switch isn't powerful enough for that. Maybe with Nintendo's next console in like seven years or whatever, we'll be able to step into Zelda or something. Wouldn't that be neat.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73