AT&T's "logical" reason for refusing to unlock an iPhone

swsmpbaby985

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
AT&T's "logical" reason for refusing to unlock an iPhone. After reading an article in which an Apple user got Tim Cook to get AT&T to unlock an iPhone. I recently contacted AT&T inquiring as to why they refuse to unlock an iPhone even after we've fulfilled our contract commitment after grilling the "rep" with several back and forth emails due to my feeling like they were avoiding a direct answer this is what I received:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T about your wireless service. My name is Robert and I am more than happy to assist you today with your inquiry regarding unlocking your iPhone.
To provide a logical explanation to your inquiry, the information you're referencing on our website does not apply to iPhone units; our agreement with Apple prohibits the unlocking of AT&T sold iPhones for any reason what-so-ever, regardless of the circumstances. This is unfortunately non-negotiable as such. So far as we are aware, the only method to obtain an unlocked iPhone is to purchase a pre-unlocked version from Apple directly at the full retail pricing.
As to the reasoning behind the agreement, such information, as well as the exact terms of the agreement, is considered confidential, and consequently is not disclosed to customer-facing representatives or departments, and would not be available for public disclosure (nor would speculation on my part be appropriate). We apologize for any inconvenience in that regard.
My name, if you have any additional questions about unlocking a device, please respond to this e-mail. If you have a question about another issue, please send us a new e-mail via the Contact Us link in the lower left-hand corner of your myAT&T account. Thank you for choosing AT&T; we appreciate your busines

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yet, the user who notified Tim Cook and received an immediate unlock contradicts the reps claim of "...our agreement with Apple prohibits the unlocking of AT&T sold iPhones for ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
AT&T's "logical" reason for refusing to unlock an iPhone. After reading an article in which an Apple user got Tim Cook to get AT&T to unlock an iPhone. I recently contacted AT&T inquiring as to why they refuse to unlock an iPhone even after we've fulfilled our contract commitment after grilling the "rep" with several back and forth emails due to my feeling like they were avoiding a direct answer this is what I received:

"Thank you for contacting AT&T about your wireless service. My name is Robert and I am more than happy to assist you today with your inquiry regarding unlocking your iPhone.
To provide a logical explanation to your inquiry, the information you're referencing on our website does not apply to iPhone units; our agreement with Apple prohibits the unlocking of AT&T sold iPhones for any reason what-so-ever, regardless of the circumstances. This is unfortunately non-negotiable as such. So far as we are aware, the only method to obtain an unlocked iPhone is to purchase a pre-unlocked version from Apple directly at the full retail pricing.
As to the reasoning behind the agreement, such information, as well as the exact terms of the agreement, is considered confidential, and consequently is not disclosed to customer-facing representatives or departments, and would not be available for public disclosure (nor would speculation on my part be appropriate). We apologize for any inconvenience in that regard.
My name, if you have any additional questions about unlocking a device, please respond to this e-mail. If you have a question about another issue, please send us a new e-mail via the Contact Us link in the lower left-hand corner of your myAT&T account. Thank you for choosing AT&T; we appreciate your busines

The reps don't know about anything and can't tell you anything real. They typed that off a script and sent it to you. You won't get any real answers from them other than it's someone's policy.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The reps don't know about anything and can't tell you anything real. They typed that off a script and sent it to you. You won't get any real answers from them other than it's someone's policy.

I think they copy pasted it and inserted their said name :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox