AT&T Unlock Personal Hotspot without jailbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew Satterwhite

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I know this topic is posted everywhere, however, there doesn't seem to be any consensus. Most of it quickly turns into a pointless argument, so I thought I'd try to consolidate information and have an honest discussion. For those new to the topic, there seems to be a way to change the APN settings for T-Mobile and AT&T to allow a personal hotspot without paying the ridiculous $50/month and changing the unlimited plan.

Here is the preliminary tutorial I found to access preferences.plist:
Free Hotspot Tethering iPhone Feature [How to Enable it Using Hack]

Here are the APN settings for AT&T:
APN Settings | Tether

Here is an older document explaining the changes needed to carrier.plist:
[iPhone] iPhone5 AT&T GSM Tethering APN Settings? - MacRumors Forums

I have a copy of ATT_41.1_US.ipcc and am digging through it trying to find how to disable carrierentitlements so that any changes aren't automatically reversed upon reboot.

So where is everyone else at? Any success/tips/tricks? Can we all just figure this out!?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to go Captain Obvious... just get a service plan that includes tethering... real simple. And too obvious, I know... oh wait, you don't want to pay for service being rendered... never mind... And I suppose stating the obvious will be "pointless argument"...

Drew Satterwhite

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
You're a mod on a forum that discusses jailbreaks and that's what you have to add? Your supposition was correct. Your valuable addition to an honest and widespread question was the beginning of a pointless argument.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You're a mod on a forum that discusses jailbreaks and that's what you have to add? Your supposition was correct. Your valuable addition to an honest and widespread question was the beginning of a pointless argument.

Yes, that's what I have to add... I'm one of those odd people that believes one should pay for services rendered and not seek means of circumventing carrier restrictions in order to steal service... I'm a freak... This is exactly why there's no consensus on the issue... on one hand there's the want everything free crowd...and there's my point of view. You've made your point... I've made mine. Have a nice day.

Drew Satterwhite

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have already paid for it. Specifically, I am paying for it. They just want 250% more with the option of throttling me down to oblivion, not for technical or crowd issues, but as a profit center. So if my 16 years of being a loyal customer @ $100/month combined with the fact that they will rescind my legally purchased unlimited plan, whilst charging me a ridiculous amount of money can be translated to "everything free crowd" then call me Mr Welfare, because that's bull****. If you think its moral or even ethical to lock down a purchased device so that you have to pay more, you sir are misguided. What if Ford charged you per mile after you bought the car in full? Or a monthly service fee to use the air conditioner? Context Mr kch50428. You lack context.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's what I have to add... I'm one of those odd people that believes one should pay for services rendered and not seek means of circumventing carrier restrictions in order to steal service... I'm a freak... This is exactly why there's no consensus on the issue... on one hand there's the want everything free crowd...and there's my point of view.
First, you are way off base here with labeling jailbreak tethering as " stealing service". We pay for our data plan each month, if we want to download an app on our iPhones to help us maximize its usage that is our business. My wireless carrier supplies the data that I am "paying" for therefore I don't know where you are getting this "want it free" misconception of yours from. While I am not currently jailbroken due to iOS 7, rest assured when it is available again I will definitely go back to using apps like MyWi and PDA Net without regards to how nonjailbreakers feel about it.

prku

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So you think paying for and using data on your mobile device should be completely separate from using the same data, from the same provider on a tethered device that you also own? Think about it, say you had a Cable provider that told you in order to have cable & internet service on more than one device in your home, that you'd have to pay for each new device accessing their service and not bundle it, would you do that or are you going to tell me what you perceive to be your concept obvious? Oh I forgot, I must be speaking with a shareholder with the same objectives and points of view as the wireless providers doing this practice... and not because it makes "Obvious" Common sense but because it makes "Obvious" $'s and Cents for their bottom line-

Let's see if this makes it into the discussion Mr Moderator

overvolt

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's what I have to add... I'm one of those odd people that believes one should pay for services rendered and not seek means of circumventing carrier restrictions in order to steal service... I'm a freak... This is exactly why there's no consensus on the issue... on one hand there's the want everything free crowd...and there's my point of view. You've made your point... I've made mine. Have a nice day.
###########################################################################################

I'm one of those odd people that believes one should pay for services rendered and not seek means of circumventing carrier restrictions

And I'm one of those people that believes you should be able to use the data you pay for any darn way you like!
My iPhone 5S (shared family plan) from AT&T comes with 3Gb of data. When I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet it was to use the data I wasn't using from my AT&T plan. YES the 3GB. I'm disabled and don't get out often but when I do I thought it would be nice to have a VPN so I could have a data connection for my tablet. After all, I wasn't using hardly any data which comes with my plan because I'm using my data from my router and home internet connection. My home ISP doesn't mind me using the data I buy from them to power my tablet, or anything else I decide to use it for.

Face the facts! AT&T is JUST LIKE almost every other American company these days. They are going to nickle and dime you to the fullest extent possible. What's WORE is "The Gullible American Consumer" (my own little literary contribution) allows these companies to get by with this crap! Looks like your one of these people and sadly there are many, many more.

I apologize to the author for contributing to the "pointless argument" he sought to avoid. My only excuse I have is this is a pet peeve for me.

With all due respect and no malice meant.
Regards,
OverVolt

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
###########################################################################################

I'm one of those odd people that believes one should pay for services rendered and not seek means of circumventing carrier restrictions

And I'm one of those people that believes you should be able to use the data you pay for any darn way you like!
My iPhone 5S (shared family plan) from AT&T comes with 3Gb of data. When I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet it was to use the data I wasn't using from my AT&T plan. YES the 3GB. I'm disabled and don't get out often but when I do I thought it would be nice to have a VPN so I could have a data connection for my tablet. After all, I wasn't using hardly any data which comes with my plan because I'm using my data from my router and home internet connection. My home ISP doesn't mind me using the data I buy from them to power my tablet, or anything else I decide to use it for.

Face the facts! AT&T is JUST LIKE almost every other American company these days. They are going to nickle and dime you to the fullest extent possible. What's WORE is "The Gullible American Consumer" (my own little literary contribution) allows these companies to get by with this crap! Looks like your one of these people and sadly there are many, many more.

I apologize to the author for contributing to the "pointless argument" he sought to avoid. My only excuse I have is this is a pet peeve for me.

With all due respect and no malice meant.
Regards,
OverVolt

The carriers here in Canada have a different view... They include tethering for free on all plans that include data cause they don't care if you go over cause it's $10/GB when you go over and they round up to the nearest GB...

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using Tapatalk.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
AT&T Shared family plans come with tethering. All you have to do is call them up and they'll provision it for you

Agreed. I have shared data and I have tethering included on all of my devices. Just straight out simple. It was a better value for me to kick the "so called unlimited" and go shared.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So you think paying for and using data on your mobile device should be completely separate from using the same data, from the same provider on a tethered device that you also own? Think about it, say you had a Cable provider that told you in order to have cable & internet service on more than one device in your home, that you'd have to pay for each new device accessing their service and not bundle it, would you do that or are you going to tell me what you perceive to be your concept obvious? Oh I forgot, I must be speaking with a shareholder with the same objectives and points of view as the wireless providers doing this practice... and not because it makes "Obvious" Common sense but because it makes "Obvious" $'s and Cents for their bottom line-

Let's see if this makes it into the discussion Mr Moderator

Only one post here and this is it. If one does not have a tether plan and has to pay for a tether plan and the jail break circumvents that and allows tether without paying the fee..that is stealing.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Physician, heal thyself.

Ironic Keith. I say something suggesting the debate has gone well beyond a worthwhile point. Rather than suggesting the one trying to stir it up needs to stop, you suggest I need to.

It's no wonder the people in these threads that have a chance to be helpful tend to grow tired of dealing with you.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Ironic Keith. I say something suggesting the debate has gone well beyond a worthwhile point. Rather than suggesting the one trying to stir it up needs to stop, you suggest I need to.

It's no wonder the people in these threads that have a chance to be helpful tend to grow tired of dealing with you.

This site does not condone any discussion of app stealing, the same should apply to carrier stealing, which the op clearly states. If the premise of the ops post was apps in the App Store, there would be locked threads and bans handed out. What makes this so different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen