AT&T killing unlimited data plan for new users

crovax85

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Really sucks that AT&T are doing this. I hope the UK providers dont do this. The are already charging us way more for the phone and the contract!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Really sucks that AT&T are doing this. I hope the UK providers dont do this. The are already charging us way more for the phone and the contract!
I hope that the FCC understands that this plan, if allowed to stand, ends the idea of net neutrality. I hope that the FTC recognizes that this is not fair trade. I hope that AT&T's competitors see this as an opportunity to take subscribers from AT&T rather than a cover for taking more money from their existing subscribers.

I have to admit that AT&T has been very artful in their presentation of this plan. Even the technical press, that generally favors net neutrality, seems to have swallowed the hook with the bait. They have failed to recognize, for example, that $20- per month for the mere privilege of using an application, whether or not one even uses that application, is an outrage. I am certainly glad that most here have recognized that a few dollars in the short term will cost much more in the long term.

Mr. Chitlin

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm using a BB9000 right now and was wanting a new iphone when they came out. I guess there will be no way for me to get in under the unlimited plan. My wife, son and daughter all have unlimited plans.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm using a BB9000 right now and was wanting a new iphone when they came out. I guess there will be no way for me to get in under the unlimited plan. My wife, son and daughter all have unlimited plans.

Simple, upgrade to 3Gs @ Wally world for $97, get grandfathered into and unlimited plan and the return within the 30 grace period to get new iPhone. Now u have the new iPhone with unlimited data

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have only once gone over 2GB (just barely) and I never turn on wifi so doing that could easily ensure that doesn't happen again. I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks but since I already get a 17% discount I only pay $24.90. I wonder if I'd get the discount on the $25 plan? I know that Verizon only discounts plans over $30 but I don't know AT&T's policy.

I also agree without everyone else. If you're capping data then tethering should be free or less than $20 for the privilege. AT&T should either lower the tethering price to $5-10 or add a extra gig or data with it.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I have only once gone over 2GB (just barely) and I never turn on wifi so doing that could easily ensure that doesn't happen again. I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks but since I already get a 17% discount I only pay $24.90. I wonder if I'd get the discount on the $25 plan? I know that Verizon only discounts plans over $30 but I don't know AT&T's policy.

I also agree without everyone else. If you're capping data then tethering should be free or less than $20 for the privilege. AT&T should either lower the tethering price to $5-10 or add a extra gig or data with it.

I'd expect my discount to apply even to the 25. It's just not worth saving 5 dollars over to worry about meeting the 2gb cap so i'll just keep the old plan.

The tethering (USB or BT only) option is a joke (compared to the competition) and to charge 20 to use it is an insult. I'll jailbreak and use Mywi.

fdezarra

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
On/Off

Does anyone have real evidence about whether on/off will still be on or not?

Also, what happens with future devices. Say you get next years ipad as well. Will we get to keep the unlimited or is this tied in to specific device. I think with the iPhone, you can keep unlimited even if you change devices.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone have real evidence about whether on/off will still be on or not?
I was told that we could do the on/off thing for less than 90 days without forfeiting our grandfathering benefits. At least two AT&T reps told me this.

But AT&T doesn't really have their $#!+ together and clearly can't be trusted to do the right thing simply because it's right. I'd like to see some literature to back this up.

Also, what happens with future devices. Say you get next years ipad as well. Will we get to keep the unlimited or is this tied in to specific device. I think with the iPhone, you can keep unlimited even if you change devices.

The account seems to be SIM-specific. When I switched iPads, they put me through hell until I was able to get the old iPad from Best Buy and exchange that SIM for the one in the new device.

In other words, if you keep your SIM you should be fine. How do you sell an iPad with no SIM? Dunno. Cuz local AT&T support will likely be useless.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
CBS News Mobile: Story

This plan will affect new AT&T smartphone subscribers who sign up for service on or after June 7. Current smartphone subscribers, including iPhone and iPad customers who have already signed up for the $30 unlimited data plans, are grandfathered in. They can continue to use those unlimited plans until their contracts run out. But if they want to switch their plans to either the $15 or the $25 plan they can.

regarding the grandfathered situations...
i'm assuming after your contract expires then you have to go to one of the new data plans. am i reading this correctly?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
The new data plans are for NEW customers and those who want to switch after June 7th. We can keep our unlimited plans afterwards, EVEN when we upgrade. We only lose it if we which to one o the newer plans.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The new data plans are for NEW customers and those who want to switch after June 7th. We can keep our unlimited plans afterwards, EVEN when we upgrade. We only lose it if we which to one o the newer plans.

it appears that may not be the case for the new iPhone

Anyone buying the new iPhone that is supposed to be released this summer will have to sign up for one of the new plans.

i hope not

Mr. Chitlin

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site

I went by the ATT Corporate store on Saturday. They told me that as long as I have an unlimited smartphone plan I could keep the unlimited smartphone plan, even if I go from BB to iphone.

I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I stream alot and my slingbox is almost always on. I only went over 2gb three times. I don't think people use as much data as we think. I also use miwi on my iphone.

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Here's an interesting idea...

As we already know, as of June 7th, the iPhone 3G unlimited data plan for $30 was removed from their system. According to AT&T store reps, it's no longer listed as a choice when trying to activate an iPhone 3G/3GS.

And, as we also know, if you're on the $20 unlimited EDGE or $30 unlimited 3G data plan on an iPhone 2G or iPhone 3G/3GS, respectively, you can be "grandfathered" to the defunct $30 unlimited 3G data plan when you get the iPhone 4.

Now, here's the kicker...

If you have an old iPhone 2G (not 3G or 3GS) laying around, you might want to try activating your number on it with iTunes. You'll see that you'll still be able to get the $20 unlimited EDGE plan during the activation process, and that may likely "grandfather" you to the $30 data plan if you choose to do so.

So, if you feel you missed out by not having an unlimited data plan on your number before June 7 changed everything, this may be the only way to "grandfather" yourself even now.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
there is nothing saying they can't charge for data useage. VzW CEO the other week said they are going to be doing the same thing soon. what is complete BS and something to talk to the FCC/FTC/BBB about is how AT&T is charging another $20 for tethering on top of the $25 for 2GB of data. Tethering is using data the same as streaming music or whatever. You have already paid for the data and they have the nerve to charge another $20 so you can use the feature? Screw you AT&T! Maybe they should be more grateful that iPhone SAVED their company from ruins and now they are starting to piss people off even more. Eventually the iPhone won't be on only AT&T and thats the day AT&T will regret screwing people.
I will jailbreak before I will pay AT&T $20- per month for an application that I may or may not use. I think that this is their way of reneging on their commitment to allow tethering. It makes little difference what they permit if they price it in such a way that no one will use it. I wonder what application they will apply a surcharge to next?

Of course, they do not much care what I do, or even what "we" do. We are not typical of their customers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR