AT&T is at it again with bogus data usage message

babeebenz

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Good afternoon to my fellow AT&T users. I, too, have been throttled twice. The first time was at 4gb. The last time was at 1.5 gb. I've heard the argument for and against the throttling of those of us on the Unlimited Data Plan. IMO, the whole thing is a joke. Needless to say, I want to share with you a conversation I just had.

You see, I filed complaints against AT&T with the BBB, FTC, and FCC. I just hung up with someone from the office of the President of AT&T (so she said). After grieving my complaints with throttling, I asked her to share with me exactly how they come up with the top 5% of data users. After all, I have been told my numerous AT&T reps that it's regional, that's it's your "area", that it's your "city", blah blah blah. Well this nice lady tried to tell me that the way they come up with the top 5% of users is by taking a look at the data usage of all 17 million AT&T Unlimited Data users in the United States. Of all 17 million, they throttle those who are using the most data..in other words the top 5%. I asked her to please repeat what she said to make sure I heard it correctly. So folks, according to the rep from the office of the President of AT&T, if you are throttled at 1.2gb or 1.5 gb, you are in the top 5% of 17 million Unlimited Data users. Does anybody else think that's amusing? You've got to be kidding me. There's simply no way that someone using 1.2gigs is in the top 5% of 17 million users. I urge you all to file complaints with the BBB, FTC, and FCC if you haven't already.

I've heard those who say that AT&T isn't limiting our unlimited plans..that we can still use as much data as we want. The problem with that line of thinking is that a person no longer has unlimited data when their speeds are throttled 85% (this was the figure given to me by the lady I just spoke with, mentioned above). When your speed is throttled to that extent, your phone becomes nothing more than a paperweight or to make and receive phone calls.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
1.9 gigs used, no message here yet. My goal is to hit 3 this month, which the highest I have ever hit is 2.3. And no, I am not going to file with the FTC or anyone else.

BuckyBadg

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
what I meant was:

No competition with Verizon as they don't even offer unlimited data anymore. You'll get only 2GB/$30 with them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

My point is this. If AT&T throttles me in trying to force me to switch plans, I also switch providers.

OdinStormer

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I was seriously considering terminating my contract with Verizon this coming October, being that my wife's line contract is up then, due to the lousy, everyday, slow 3G speeds I get. But reading all this is making me not Want to terminate. Seeing the 4S get higher speeds on AT&T :rolleyes:, and the fact that the new iPhone would be out by then I thought it'd be a good idea. Reading all of this puts me down in a way that now im stuck with lousy Verizon 3G speeds lol:rolleyes:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was seriously considering terminating my contract with Verizon this coming October, being that my wife's line contract is up then, due to the lousy, everyday, slow 3G speeds I get. But reading all this is making me not Want to terminate. Seeing the 4S get higher speeds on AT&T :rolleyes:, and the fact that the new iPhone would be out by then I thought it'd be a good idea. Reading all of this puts me down in a way that now im stuck with lousy Verizon 3G speeds lol:rolleyes:

You wouldn't be affected by AT&T's throttling practices anyway since they are only doing this to customers with a unlimited data plan.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

zstairlessone

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
^^this makes me ill! :p I have a call into AT&T to see if they have tower issues in my area(s). I'm trying everything I can think of to NOT blame it on throttling or the phone.

I don't have unlimited, but had issues with their network speed. I called and ATT walked me through a complete reset on my phone because it had to be a phone problem not a network issue. Once the reset was completed and the problem was still there the next step was to have me hang up with the tech and drive out of the tower range, Not letting him hang up like he wanted to I kept him on line and drove the 7 miles outside the city limit to where he said I would shift over and BANG suddenly went from .02 download and .00 upload to 2.72 down and .58 up (these were all with 5 bars and 4G on. 2.72 download in an area of 500,000 + people is not 4G good, (and .58 up is crap) but it is much better than when the network was 'down' for almost a week.

Believe me they won't investigate tower issues until you force them to admit the issue with facts and data

zstairlessone

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that there is NO mention of throttling for tiered customers, that is because there is income for allowing tiered customers to go over their data limit and the faster they can go over and the more data consumed in a billing cycle the more money available to ATT. Think about that for a little bit

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77