AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

RIPNHL2005

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
AT&T approved unlock of my 4S which is off contract. Running iOS 6.1.1
They sent me these directions to complete the process, but if I do this, it will erase jailbreak and install iOS7.
Is this really necessary or can new owner (Selling this phone to someone else) put in their T-Mobile or whoever sim card and activate it?

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.
We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked.
Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.
To complete the unlock, simply

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit iTunes: Restoring iOS software.
5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
Additional information on unlocking can be found at iPhone: About unlocking

Thanks! Guy wants to buy it but I want to make sure it is indeed unlocked and jailbroken as I do not want to sell this guy a non working phone. :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
AT&T approved unlock of my 4S which is off contract. Running iOS 6.1.1
They sent me these directions to complete the process, but if I do this, it will erase jailbreak and install iOS7.
Is this really necessary or can new owner (Selling this phone to someone else) put in their T-Mobile or whoever sim card and activate it?

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.
We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked.
Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.
To complete the unlock, simply

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit iTunes: Restoring iOS software.
5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
Additional information on unlocking can be found at iPhone: About unlocking

Thanks! Guy wants to buy it but I want to make sure it is indeed unlocked and jailbroken as I do not want to sell this guy a non working phone. :D

I'm not one who jailbreaks his iPhone so I'm going to focus on the listed directions. Unless I'm missing the obvious, the listed instructions merely restores your device, and if restoring your device automatically unlocks it, then heck, everyone can simply do a restore to unlock their devices. Having said that, did you miss a step?

RIPNHL2005

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not one who jailbreaks his iPhone so I'm going to focus on the listed directions. Unless I'm missing the obvious, the listed instructions merely restores your device, and if restoring your device automatically unlocks it, then heck, everyone can simply do a restore to unlock their devices. Having said that, did you miss a step?

LOL no restoring doesn't automatically unlock it. AT&T obviously does something on their end to allow the phone to be unlocked.
I had to go to https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=gDw5tXu6 and submit a request with IMEI number and my information and had to wait for approval.
Then i recieved the email I posted with instructions how to complete the unlock.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
LOL no restoring doesn't automatically unlock it. AT&T obviously does something on their end to allow the phone to be unlocked.
I had to go to https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=nooIAJXm and submit a request with IMEI number and my information and had to wait for approval.
Then i recieved the email I posted with instructions how to complete the unlock.

Thank you...(laughing)...I knew there was a missing step in there, and wanted to make sure....Take care, my friend..:)

RIPNHL2005

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Funny guy....

Ok so still same issue tonight, connected to iTunes, get prompted for iOS 7 update, click no and does not show unlocked or anything.
There's gotta be a way to maintain jailbreak but complete this unlock of the phone.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If you use the search feature i the forums, I've seen this discussed before. I think they used sam to de-activate the phone or something to that effect.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
For 4S and above I'm 99% sure all you need to do is insert an active SIM from a different carrier.

RIPNHL2005

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
If you use the search feature i the forums, I've seen this discussed before. I think they used sam to de-activate the phone or something to that effect.

I searched a few times but came up with lots of threads but no mention of this "sam"

For 4S and above I'm 99% sure all you need to do is insert an active SIM from a different carrier.

Hmmmmm....I wonder if this whole must restore with iTunes to get the Congratulations you are now unlocked message is just a ploy to get rid of jailbreaks?
First phone I did this restore and sold it through Craigslist, second one is still jailbroken so I'll request unlock and not do iTunes thing and try to find a t-mobile user to test this with.

Thanks!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I searched a few times but came up with lots of threads but no mention of this "sam"

Hmmmmm....I wonder if this whole must restore with iTunes to get the Congratulations you are now unlocked message is just a ploy to get rid of jailbreaks?
First phone I did this restore and sold it through Craigslist, second one is still jailbroken so I'll request unlock and not do iTunes thing and try to find a t-mobile user to test this with.

Thanks!

I think it's just easier to tell everyone to restore; that way the instructions are the same for all models. But yes, it's only really necessary for earlier devices.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
There's an easy test. Just borrow a SIM from a friend not on AT&T. Plug it in and see if the phone works.

You'll know instantly if it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh