[Article] Steve Jobs in 1996: "People are going to stop going to stores; They will buy on the web."

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
[Article] Steve Jobs in 1996: "People are going to stop going to stores; They will buy on the web."

Caught this on Yahoo! Finance today. Citing an interview Steve Jobs had with Wired magazine for the February 1996 issue. Thought I'd share it here.

It was interesting to read through that Wired article as well.

Here's the Yahoo! story: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/steve-jobs-knew-internet-really-002400371.html

Here's the Wired article from 1996: http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/4.02/jobs_pr.html

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Article] Steve Jobs in 1996: "People are going to stop going to stores; They will buy on the we

Thanks for sharing these.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Article] Steve Jobs in 1996: "People are going to stop going to stores; They will buy on the we

He was spot-on in regard to commerce...:)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I don't want to act like he is the only person that had this opinion 20 years ago, but his wording was basically describing Amazon in a nutshell. Cryptic stuff.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

He ways called it.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Nice read thanks, he had a way of seeing the future.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

He was spot-on in regard to commerce...:)

More like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Neither the Watch nor the retina MacBook were available except via online purchase. That decision was made and implemented by Apple.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

That's cool! I never saw that before, but it turned out to be true for me. I haven't set foot in a mall in over a year, but I buy almost anything other than groceries online.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

I told you he had a time machine!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

More like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Neither the Watch nor the retina MacBook were available except via online purchase. That decision was made and implemented by Apple.

Well what about Amazon? And Ebay? I think Jobs knew what he was talking about. And lets not even go to the online adult industry, they know how to sell also. ;) e-Commerce is the future, heck the present of the internet, as he predicted!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I wish I could find it...in 10th grade (which would have been like 1995 or so), I did a report on commerce for an AP economics/business class I was taking in high school. The report discussed how people were going to move away from physically going into stores and move towards having things delivered TO them. My ideas were more focused on TV, and it discussed how our TV's would be interactive to a point where we could just wear a visor and wave our hands and food would come to us.

I based it on a few reports I had read in several magazines, but primarily from Back to the Future 2, where Marty Jr. was sitting with his VR helmet on telling the TV to do stuff.

While I feel that Steve Jobs was definitely a visionary...I think, at the time, the general consensus on such things was that consumer retail purchasing habits was definitely going to change. Steve Jobs was just in the thick of the industry, so it makes sense that his thoughts would fall in line with e-commerce.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

He's been dead for nearly 4 years, though. That being Apple's decision doesn't necessarily make it that of a dead man.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

There is very little that I buy in stores anymore. Clothes, shoes, dog food, tech, I buy online. If we could order food online like Tesco, I'd do that too.
As with everything he touched, Jobs had a keen understanding of customer service and where the consumer was headed. Results for Apple due to his understanding and vision were predictable.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

There is very little that I buy in stores anymore. Clothes, shoes, dog food, tech, I buy online. If we could order food online like Tesco, I'd do that too.
As with everything he touched, Jobs had a keen understanding of customer service and where the consumer was headed. Results for Apple due to his understanding and vision were predictable.

Food online did you say? ...

https://fresh.amazon.com/welcome;jsessionid=17892BC81656D8370CB90028D55198E7

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77