Are you supposed to say "Question mark." when talking to Siri?

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that when you ask Siri a question, there are no punctuation marks, commas or anything like that. But most of all, there is no question mark. That doesn't seem right.

So, I tried asking a question and then saying, "Question mark." at the end, now it looks right.

Why does Apple not encourage the use of punctuation when talking to Siri?

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why. It would be nice if she could detect punctuation by the tone of your voice. I've gotten used to it now. :)

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I always say the punctuation and other non-words. Semicolon, comma, open parenthesis etc - all that stuff works with Siri.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you want punctuation (comma) all you have to do is say it (period) Is that so hard to remember (question mark) Remember (comma) voice inflection can be difficult to detect by any automation (elipsis) so (comma) when you want punctuation (comma) just say the word (period)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
But my question becomes: What if you wanted the word period not the punctuation mark, or both with the word period (period)?

It works.

Input: Then (comma) you put a period at the end of the sentence (period)

Result: Then, you put a period at the end of the sentence.

AND

Input: I need to write the word period (period)

Result: I need to write the word period.

FYI: Siri voices are interchangeable. You can have any version of Siri (UK, Australia, French, German) speak English in their accent, which is really cool. I like how the French one says my name.

maxiang

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
...FYI: Siri voices are interchangeable. You can have any version of Siri (UK, Australia, French, German) speak English in their accent, which is really cool. I like how the French one says my name.

:eek: How do you switch Siri's voice without changing the language?!

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you've ever wanted to hear a foreign-language Siri voice, there's only one way to do it.

You have to have Speak Selection on. Settings>General>Accessibility>Speech Selection

From now on, you have the option to have Siri read you something.

So when you select the text, like the one below, it automatically speaks in that language. Anything you type in after that, select the whole thing, and you'll hear that accent in the language that you wrote it.

Siri est l'assistant personnel intelligent qui vous aide ? faire avancer les choses simplement en demandant. Il vous permet d'utiliser votre voix pour envoyer des messages, planifier des r?unions, des appels t?l?phoniques de lieux, et plus encore. Mais Siri n'est pas comme logiciel de reconnaissance vocale traditionnelle qui vous oblige ? me souviens des mots-cl?s et de parler des commandes sp?cifiques. Siri comprend votre langage naturel, et il vous pose des questions si elle a besoin de plus amples renseignements pour effectuer une t?che.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox