Are you going to miss the home button?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone X has no home button. It DOES have FaceID and a webOS-inspired swipe up to go home gesture instead. You think you're going to miss the home button?

Personally, having used (er, LOVED) webOS years ago, I'm not going to miss the home button one bit. Seems like a lot of wasted space to me, give me more screen, and smart gestures to interact with the UI!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I will miss it, but I welcome the change. Looking forward to something new a different from Apple. Four years with the same design was a bit much.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I will not miss it. Mainly because I ordered the iPhone 8. So I guess the correct answer will be yes I will miss it. I like it more than ever since 3D Touch.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not married to the home button, but I will miss it if the new swiping navigation turns out to be as annoying as it looks. That's one of the reasons I'm not committing to the X right now. I have to at least hear about how well it works from people who have had more than just a few minutes with the phone.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I think everyone will get used to it. If I use an Android or Windows phone and come back to my iPhone, I am always tapping beside the home button for the back button, but for some reason it never works.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I like the changes to a gesture based system. I loved webos as well. But I won't get the X this year. I'll wait to see what they release next year.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not at all, I love gestures and if Blackberry had to app ecosystem I would have gone BB10, so this the iPhone X is the phone I’ve been waiting for ever since.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I suspect the first hundred times I attempt to click the non-existent home button, I will miss it greatly. But, I'll adapt and soon it will be as though it never existed. Either that, or I'll take it back and swap it for an 8. :)

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
As a former Blackberry 10 user, I am looking forward to using gestures to unlock and navigate the device. I loved OS10 and would probably still be using it, if they had the app support.

I am looking forward to OCT 27th when I can preorder my new iPhone X.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m not really going to know how much I’ll miss the home button until I’ve had my hands on an iPhone X for a week or so. I’m a creature of habit and I know I’m going to be ghost pressing the crap out of the home button for at least a week but I’m hoping I can re-train myself pretty quickly.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the GS8 so I got a little use to no home button. Although, those devices (and other Androids) and onscreen buttons. They I see it is that 2 main functions I used the home button for (go home and recent apps) are the gestures I have to get used to. The other functions that I use (Siri, Apple Pay, etc) have just been relocated to the side button. So yes it will take some getting use to. After all been using a home button on an iPhone since 2007. But it is time to get rid of it. I'm looking forward to the change.

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If you are several screens away from the home screen what will be the shortcut to get to the home screen? Currently you click the home button to take you to the home screen.

Thanks

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I’m only going to miss the home button when I need to quickly and quietly access my phone at work during times when I don’t want it to be so obvious I’m accessing my phone. I feel like face id will make it a little more obvious to those around me but not a deal breaker or anything I’m actually overly concerned or worried about as I’m sure there will be ways to figure out how to discreetly unlock by face.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’m only going to miss the home button when I need to quickly and quietly access my phone at work during times when I don’t want it to be so obvious I’m accessing my phone. I feel like face id will make it a little more obvious to those around me but not a deal breaker or anything I’m actually overly concerned or worried about as I’m sure there will be ways to figure out how to discreetly unlock by face.

It does, doesn’t it?
It’ll be nice to have access to both Face ID and Touch ID on an iPhone.. maybe in the upcoming years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit