Are we still unable to drag and drop files to and from the iPhone w/out using iTunes?

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm thinking about trying an iphone but one thing that's always kept me from doing so is that when i owned an ipod it required me to transfer everything via itunes. I couldn't just plug in the phone and drag and drop the files i want. Is this still true? Or has it evolved beyond the need for itunes? I just want to be able to plug it in like it was a regular usb storage device. Thanks.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: File transfer iphone to pc and vice versa

Direct storage access is not possible with iPhone or iPad devices.

Nowadays, you have services like iCloud Drive (native to iOS), OneDrive, and others that allow the use of cloud synchronization between devices.
It might also be possible to copy files to a compatible USB thumb drive or SD card with an adapter. Also, you can use an SMBv2 or SMBv3 file server directly from the iPhone.

An iPhone is considered as an independent computer ;)
Documentation on external devices or servers: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph8d8f0f1a0/ios

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Direct storage access is not possible with iPhone or iPad devices.

Nowadays, you have services like iCloud Drive (native to iOS), OneDrive, and others that allow the use of cloud synchronization between devices.
It might also be possible to copy files to a compatible USB thumb drive or SD card with an adapter. Also, you can use an SMBv2 or SMBv3 file server directly from the iPhone.

An iPhone is considered as an independent computer ;)
Documentation on external devices or servers: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph8d8f0f1a0/ios

does that mean it's still a pain to transfer files? or is it easier. i'm just used to plugging in my phone and dragging files to whichever folder i wish.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

I find it fairly easy.

I save the file to iCloud Drive or OneDrive, and moments later (if it's a fairly small file), I can open it on my iPhone or iPad.
The only downside, it uses my Internet connection.

As for USB thumb drives/SD cards, I have no experience with those, so I can't speak for it.

By the way, I completely forgot AirDrop that allows send files from and to wirelessly, provided you have a compatible AirDrop device. ç
Those are all Apple devices. It's not compatible with non-Apple devices as far as I know.

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

I find it fairly easy.

I save the file to iCloud Drive or OneDrive, and moments later (if it's a fairly small file), I can open it on my iPhone or iPad.
The only downside, it uses my Internet connection.

As for USB thumb drives/SD cards, I have no experience with those, so I can't speak for it.

By the way, I completely forgot AirDrop that allows send files from and to wirelessly, provided you have a compatible AirDrop device. ç
Those are all Apple devices. It's not compatible with non-Apple devices as far as I know.

is there a way to do airdrop on pc? i usually transfer pictures/screenshots from pc to my phone as well as music from pc to my phone.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
File transfer iphone to pc and vice versa

If you have a shared network drive you can save files via the Files app to your shared network drive. That way my files are available to all my devices on the network.

Also, iOS does support Ethernet, so you can use a USB Ethernet adapter with the Lightning USB dongle, so no Wi-Fi needed. If you have the Lightning USB dongle, you can just use a USB thumb drive. The Files app will recognize it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR