Are we ready for an “I,Robot” experience?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you remember the movie, “I, Robot”, starring Will Smith? In the movie, families has life-size robots in their homes doing chores that humans typically do. They communicated in every day language as if they were part of the family.

With that in mind and with devices like the HomePod, Amazon Echo and Google Home starting to really take off, are we ready for the “I, Robot” experience and associated consequences, whether seen or unseen?

We create things to “enhance” our lives, but if everything must have a balance then that mean for every enhancement there’s a negative impact.

Are we ready for an “I, Robot” experience? What day you?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
We are getting to closer to that, with robots designed for specific chores. But for now, I’d rather just have a voice assistant with true language input first.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am ready but don’t think it will be possible in another 20 years or so.

Affordability will be an issue of another 10 years. I’ll be very well in my 70’s by then

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I can't say that I am just yet. I LOVE the idea of ambient computing coming to fruition more and more, voice commands/controls and all that, but a physical "I, Robot" type machine gives me pause.

But I'm admittedly contradictory, too. I'm someone who thinks AI is incredible and will do amazing things for mankind, but have deep reservations about self-driving cars.

Referencing movies, I think I would be more comfortable with HAL 9000 (Space Odyssey 2001) then a Replicant (Blade Runner) or a "Host" (Westworld).:laughing:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
From what I experience using Alexa..... very, very, very long way to go. Not even close to being a polished product.

Even if I were ready, the product is not.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen the show Humans? I feel it takes the I, Robot theme and takes it a step further with life-like robots that blend in with humans seamlessly.

In regards to the question, I'm not sure we are. Furthermore, I don't want to be around when we reach a state of AI where machines can think for themselves similar to in the movies. I have little doubt that all the horrible things we see in movies as it relates to technological advancements would come to fruition. Only, the movies need happy endings for sales.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone seen the show Humans? I feel it takes the I, Robot theme and takes it a step further with life-like robots that blend in with humans seamlessly.

In regards to the question, I'm not sure we are. Furthermore, I don't want to be around when we reach a state of AI where machines can think for themselves similar to in the movies. I have little doubt that all the horrible things we see in movies as it relates to technological advancements would come to fruition. Only, the movies need happy endings for sales.

To your point, great article on ars Technica today here.

Or if someone just wants the short video ...

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F259174870&token=Tb-eaPJP

Last edited: