Are my photos being uploaded to iCloud twice?

Baz88

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
I’m looking at my icloud storage on my iphone and I’m not certain, but it looks like my photos are being backed up twice. On the little colour bar which tells you what is using up the most of your storage, the two biggest percentages are ‘photos’ and ‘backups’. Photos I understand, however, ‘backups’ is taking up 63.66GB of my 200GB storage plan. When I go into the backup, it shows, ‘Photos library’ as being 55.77GB of the entire backup. The problem is the ‘Photos’ app desperately is using 59GB of my 200.

So my 200GB is broken down like this:
Total used 118.5GB
Backups: 63.66Gb (Made up of ‘photo library’)
Photos(app): 59Gb
The rest is made up of docs, mail etc.
So essentially, it looks like photos are being backed up twice. I can turn off ‘photos library’ in backups but I’m too scared to do that because for all I know it could delete all my backups and I have 11,000 photos so it would take me forever to reload them to the cloud.

Pam6

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Were you able to solve it? I’m also experiencing the same issue. Photos occupying space and occupying same amount of space in backups. It’s very annoying

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Were you able to solve it? I’m also experiencing the same issue. Photos occupying space and occupying same amount of space in backups. It’s very annoying

Hello and welcome to iMore!!! Hopefully the OP will respond to your question, but please keep in mind, this thread is 3.5 years old.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I’m missing something. Backups are typically saved to either your Mac or to iCloud. In addition, if you have iCloud enabled for your photos on all of your Apple devices then those photos will be visible on ALL of them if signed in with the same Apple ID.

If you don’t want your photos in more than one location, disable iCloud photos on the devices you don’t want them appearing on and then delete them from those devices. Note: if you tenable iCloud photos on those devices, your photos will resync to them.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I would have a look if all the photos have finished updating. You should have in the Recents album, at the bottom, a count of your pictures/videos and if it is up-to-date.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods