Are lifeproof cases overkill

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Not really, they have better water/dust protection than the iPhone itself. Pretty soon they’ll have to step it up or quit for new devices because new devices will eventually have the same rating.

emscapt47

Trusted Member
Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I think my lifeproof case is good if I'm gonna be around a lot of water. Has anyone had there iPhone soaked and in the water and was good?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You can make the argument that the latest generation iPhones are water resistant but Lifeproof cases still offer great protection against drops, dust, and scrapes. For me they’re overkill but my iPhone spends 95% if its time with absolutely no case. For lots of other users Lifeproof cases offer great protection above and beyond adding water resistance.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Now that the phones are going with better water resistance, I think the lifeproof is overkill. I am going to sticking with the otter box for now.

The only reason I don't like the lifeproof is the muffled sound you get from the phone. I have heard people say it's not bad but I owned 3 or 4 and it was like that every time.

I have the iPhone 7 and the galaxy s8 and have used both under water. The galaxy s8 i have went to the beach and I even dropped it in the sand and it stayed there for at least 15 minutes with water and sand washing all over it. I rinsed it real well and have had zero problems since then(June 4th). The ip7 has also seen pool action and also has never had any issues from the water.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You can make the argument that the latest generation iPhones are water resistant but Lifeproof cases still offer great protection against drops, dust, and scrapes. For me they’re overkill but my iPhone spends 95% if its time with absolutely no case. For lots of other users Lifeproof cases offer great protection above and beyond adding water resistance.

Exactly this. The Lifeproof cases offer more than water protection. I personally don't think it's overkill and in the right situation, it provides great protection.

Last edited:

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a few but I’m not a fan. I wouldn’t call them overkill because they do offer decent protection against water. However, I’m more likely to drop my phone on a hard surface and I’ve had two instances where my phone got damaged from short drops on a hard surface. I personally know of about three other incidents from friends and coworkers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a few but I’m not a fan. I wouldn’t call them overkill because they do offer decent protection against water. However, I’m more likely to drop my phone on a hard surface and I’ve had two instances where my phone got damaged from short drops on a hard surface. I personally know of about three other incidents from friends and coworkers.

As for “me”, I don’t put my iPhone in a protective casing and I rarely, and I mean RARELY, drop it. For those who do, I will recommend a case that provides them with the greatest protection possible.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
As for “me”, I don’t put my iPhone in a protective casing and I rarely, and I mean RARELY, drop it. For those who do, I will recommend a case that provides them with the greatest protection possible.

I haven’t dropped a phone since the 5S but I try and get a protective case just in case something happens.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think they’re overkill...

I’m a welder, and I like the extra protection it provides against the metal and dust in the air.

I do take it out of the case on weekends when I’m not doing anything at home.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Lifeproof, as well as all waterproof cases, will soon be overkill. The new iPhones are water resistant, but that's not the same as waterproof. They're not submersible. You can still get water damage. I think the iPhones will be waterproof soon. When they are, then waterproof cases like Lifeproof will be overkill. They will be obsolete, except for drop and dust protection. In that case, I'd rather use an Otterbox Defender or Commuter. I do now anyway with my 6s Plus. I'm not around water as much as I used to be.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I use Lifeproof cases for dust and drop protection. I'm not around water much but when I am I'm thankful for Lifeproof. They're sweat proof too!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73