tilster08

May 2, 2018
Visit site
my 12 year old daughter subscribed to three apps clearly aimed at children, unicorn, funimate and bike ride free, she’s clocked up charges of half a thousand since may last year, Apple called me back after I disputed this and Shay an extremely rude woman with NO customer service skills at all proceeded to tell me that they would only reimburse a pittance for the last 60 days!!!!! Her phone was confiscated in February and was switched off in a cupboard yet i have still been charged a quarter of one hundred for those three months !!! Work that one out! This is ridiculous I didn’t realise Apple was such a large moneymaker by ripping off 12 year olds!!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
There are parental controls built in to stop children from getting paid apps/subscriptions to keep these things from happening. Also, how did you not do something about it for a year?

Either way, as someone who worked in customer service in the past, companies have rules for how far back credits can be backdated.

Edit:
Here is a link for how to set up parental controls.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So it’s Apple’s fault you unknowingly let this go on for a year? I think you need to take ownership for this and keep a closer eye on your finances. You’re lucky that they reimbursed you for 60 days worth of purchases.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
my 12 year old daughter subscribed to three apps clearly aimed at children, unicorn, funimate and bike ride free, she’s clocked up charges of half a thousand since may last year,

So, $500 in 12 months and you didn't catch that?

tilster08 said:
Apple called me back after I disputed this and Shay an extremely rude woman with NO customer service skills at all proceeded to tell me that they would only reimburse a pittance for the last 60 days!!!!!

Consider yourself lucky that you got 60 days reimbursed to you.

tilster08 said:
Her phone was confiscated in February and was switched off in a cupboard yet i have still been charged a quarter of one hundred for those three months !!! Work that one out! This is ridiculous I didn’t realise Apple was such a large moneymaker by ripping off 12 year olds!!

If you didn't cancel the subscriptions, the recurring charges will continue. Simply powering the device off doesn't cancel the subscription anymore than Tmobile not charging me for a day I have my phone off.

Also, Apple didn't "rip you off". If the account on your daughters phone was set up as a normal (adult) account then Apple doesn't know she's a minor. Parental controls should have been used.

Please accept responsibility for your actions rather than blaming someone else.

By the way, welcome to iMore.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

All responses are valet points

We don’t work for Apple nor do we sugarcoat our reply

Enjoy and Post Often

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
my 12 year old daughter subscribed to three apps clearly aimed at children, unicorn, funimate and bike ride free, she’s clocked up charges of half a thousand since may last year, Apple called me back after I disputed this and Shay an extremely rude woman with NO customer service skills at all proceeded to tell me that they would only reimburse a pittance for the last 60 days!!!!! Her phone was confiscated in February and was switched off in a cupboard yet i have still been charged a quarter of one hundred for those three months !!! Work that one out! This is ridiculous I didn’t realise Apple was such a large moneymaker by ripping off 12 year olds!!

I’ll bite. Apple didn’t rip off a 12 year old. You, as a parent, should have paid closer attention to what your child was doing on the phone. In addition, you should have either taken steps to safeguard such activity by enabling restrictions or you should have laid down some rules before allowing her to play games on the device. The fault lies squarely on the parents. Period.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
"I gave my 12 yr old free rein with a device to do whatever they wanted, and now I'm upset about the consequences of my adult actions"
There I updated the title of your post to better reflect the true nature of your inquiry ... :rolleyes:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picxartsapp