AppleTV: can't get MacBookAir to show on TV

I

iMore Question

I have a mid 2011 MacBookAir running OS 10.7.5 and I'm setting up a 3rd generation AppleTV box that I got for Christmas. I know that that it's connecting to my WiFi home network, because I do get my iTunes songs to play. But that's the ONLY content from my laptop that can be used so far on the TV. How do I get the ApplePlay icon to appear on other applications such as iPhoto? And can't the TV just be like a monitor for whatever is up on my MacBookAir?

Thanks!
Marcy

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It won't work IF both the MacBook and the AppleTV are on wifi. One must be hard wired to the network.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It won't work IF both the MacBook and the AppleTV are on wifi. One must be hard wired to the network.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.

That's not true from what I remember...when we had our Apple TV, both that and our MacBooks were connected to the WiFi network and functioned properly in this regard. They just have to be on the same frequency (if you're using a dual band router).

OP, go to your Macbook settings and open your "Display" settings and choose the Airplay function for Apple TV. This should mirror your Macbook on your TV.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You need to upgrade your OSX version. Screen mirroring I think was in 10.8 as was video airplay from iTunes or other programs. I think prior OSX versions Airplay only handled audio which matches your experience since you said you could do audio airplay from iTunes.
So upgrade to Mavericks for free and it will probably work.

I didn't even think about that...OP, this is precisely why you're having the issue you described.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods