Apple's Plans On iPhone 3g Checkout Process

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the 4-6 hour transfer thing... that sounds odd, i mean i know it could take a little while, but what are they going to do? have you wait in the store with them? or will it just happen over the airwaves?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
the 4-6 hour transfer thing... that sounds odd, i mean i know it could take a little while, but what are they going to do? have you wait in the store with them? or will it just happen over the airwaves?

That is just how long it could take until its fully functional. You don't have to wait in the store for that.

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I do not want anyone elses greesy hands touching my phone before mine, i don't like how they have to tether it to their computer first to activate it

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
Come on Cool Cat you don't want to take the little ones in with you? make it a family event... take pictures next to the super-sized demo display and if the sales rep is not helpful you can set them loose in the store to run a muck.

I have to wait to make the iPhone purchase, but plan on stopping by my local Apple store at lunch to do a little people watching and see how well the whole process flows. Good luck to you

I don't think the 4 month old will appreciate being dragged out of bed and to the mall at 4am just so daddy can get a new phone. :D

tankgunk

Jul 8, 2008
Visit site
Wouldn't it be cool if Apple stores used iPhones with a custom app to read barcodes with the camera and process orders instead of using EasyPay. It would be cooler even if they had the same system and called it iPay...

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
Wouldn't it be cool if Apple stores used iPhones with a custom app to read barcodes with the camera and process orders instead of using EasyPay. It would be cooler even if they had the same system and called it iPay...

I've tried apps to read barcodes with cameras and it never works well. I'd rather see them get actual laser barcode scanners. They'd probably use iPod touches for this, not iPhones. A barcode scanning ability for OS X iPhone will be huge for a lot of people. I have a FileMaker based inventory tracking system that uses barcodes and I'd love to be able to run it on the iPhone.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
What if you don't want to cancel your account initially. Can't you just try it for the 14 days and port your number later if you like it? I just want to make sure it works in the place I go.
You don't have to. AT&T has absolutely nothing, nada, (you get the idea) to do with your current plan on Carrier X, unless you ask them to port your number. If you don't ask them to port your number, for all they know you could have never owned a cellphone in your life, or have a contract with every other carrier.

circuitry

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
A little bird told me that chances are likely that history and eligibility checks at the Apple store won't be implemented for existing (non-iPhone) AT&T customers.

I hope that's the case.

wingfan

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
A little bird told me that chances are likely that history and eligibility checks at the Apple store won't be implemented for existing (non-iPhone) AT&T customers.

I hope that's the case.

If that's true I would imagine that AT&T will just add on a $200 amount to your next month's bill, there's no way that they will just let that money go. [buy for 199/299 at the apple store, then get a 200 dollar charge to make it 399/499]

circuitry

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
If that's true I would imagine that AT&T will just add on a $200 amount to your next month's bill, there's no way that they will just let that money go. [buy for 199/299 at the apple store, then get a 200 dollar charge to make it 399/499]

Well I dunno about the legality of that. I've spoken with Apple on numerous occasions in store and via phone, and they've told me that they really know nothing of AT&Ts plans and seem very frustrated with the whole thing. I would expect that if Apple is lenient with the eligibility, there would be nothing AT&T could do about billing the difference to non-eligible customers.

moomen

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Its gonna be tough for anyone other then new customers at apple, I think a lot of people want to port numbers, close other accounts, ask questions, etc and will need att store reps. From what I hear the apple employees don't know too much other then what apple has posted...

coachpete

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Wait?

A 4 to 6 hour wait to transfer account settings? That odd, you would think that Apple and AT&T would have done a better job getting ready for this. I perosnally do not think there is going to be that high of a demand for the new 3G iPhone thanks to the upgrade restrictions that AT&T is imposing.

wingfan

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Well I dunno about the legality of that. I've spoken with Apple on numerous occasions in store and via phone, and they've told me that they really know nothing of AT&Ts plans and seem very frustrated with the whole thing. I would expect that if Apple is lenient with the eligibility, there would be nothing AT&T could do about billing the difference to non-eligible customers.

Ok, but you will be signing a new contract so be sure to read the fine print of the entire document because if they are just charging everyone $199 there has to be some terms in there that allows them to get their money.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A 4 to 6 hour wait to transfer account settings? That odd, you would think that Apple and AT&T would have done a better job getting ready for this. I perosnally do not think there is going to be that high of a demand for the new 3G iPhone thanks to the upgrade restrictions that AT&T is imposing.
it was like this for the last iphone i think. but of course a lot of people were doing it at their home, so they would sync their iphones for the first time, then wait 4-6 hours for a transfer. but i think thats the max time.
but it is kind of ridiculous how long it takes, i mean it makes me wonder what is happening..:confused:

coachpete

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Ok, but you will be signing a new contract so be sure to read the fine print of the entire document because if they are just charging everyone $199 there has to be some terms in there that allows them to get their money.

They will be making ther money back on the $30 a month on the data plan you must purchase when getting a 3g iPhone. The previoius price per month for the first generation was $20 so over the life span of the 2 year servioce agreement they are making their money back.

wingfan

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
They will be making ther money back on the $30 a month on the data plan you must purchase when getting a 3g iPhone. The previoius price per month for the first generation was $20 so over the life span of the 2 year servioce agreement they are making their money back.

You are absolutely correct, but why come out with different price points if you're not going to charge them?