Apple's Listed Sizes Inaccurate?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
iphonesize.jpg

So, Apple lists the iPhone 4 at around the same height, slightly shorter than the 3GS. They also say it has a 3.5" display.

As you can see by my comparison of Apple's renders, this isn't possible. Notice the difference between the screen and speaker, the screen and the home button. When you adjust the iPhone 4 to Apple's specified height, the screen is noticeably smaller.

Thoughts? Maybe the screen on the render is inaccurate in terms of size (doubt it)?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Both the 3GS and the 4 have a 3.5" ( diagonal ) screen.

I'm guessing the rendering is off, and was enlarged to show differences and seem more vibrant, not an accurate to scale model.

Take the images off the tech specs portions and compare those. I think the 3GS comes out larger.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Both the 3GS and the 4 have a 3.5" ( diagonal ) screen.

I'm guessing the rendering is off, and was enlarged to show differences and seem more vibrant, not an accurate to scale model.

Take the images off the tech specs portions and compare those. I think the 3GS comes out larger.

I just find it extremely hard to believe that Apple would allow a visually incorrect render to ever be published on the website.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I just find it extremely hard to believe that Apple would allow a visually incorrect render to ever be published on the website.

I grabbed the side/front images from the tech specs page of each device ( 4 & 3GS ). The 3GS is larger, not much, but larger ( once you get them lined up for comparison ).

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I grabbed the side/front images from the tech specs page of each device ( 4 & 3GS ). The 3GS is larger, not much, but larger ( once you get them lined up for comparison ).

But the 3GS is listed at 115.5mm, iPhone 4 is listed at 115.2mm. Which is why I made this, because if the iPhone 4 is shorter yet there is even more distance between the screen and other face elements, the screen can't be the same size.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
The difference is actually easy to see the chrome bezel on the 3gs is where you get the extra .3 mm take a look again you can see the bezel is thicker on bottom

Ima have to agree the renders aren't completely accurate because the 3gs is bigger but theres no way apple would release a smaller than 3.5 screen go look at people's hands on comparisons at wwdc there a few pic on engadget showing the devices side by side and they look like they have he same size screen to me

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2