Apple's Formula 1 project will be the 'best racing movie that's ever existed,' says Lewis Hamilton

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I have high hopes for it too. Im not much of a TV watcher these days but I like a good racing movie. Imho there are precious few of them. Recently, Ford vs Ferrari was excellent! Arguably the best of all time. A few years before that was Rush, a lesser known but good racing movie with Liam Hemsworth. A few years before that a more unknown but good movie called Senna.
The only other one that comes to mind is an older movie called Le Mans with Steve McQueen.

It would be great to add to that list.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I remember enjoying the movie "Winning" starring Paul Newman.

Wow, Thanks Annie!! that one fell out of memory. I looked it up. It brought back the memory of seeing it MANY years ago. A bit too vague memory so I watched a portion of it this evening. It was nostalgic!. swaggering Paul Newman at his Cat On A Hot Tin Roof - Cool Hand Luke heyday. I’m extra showing my age now but Joanna Woodward was a favorite. Three Faces Of Eve, The Stripper.
I’m going to watch it all. What I did watch, the race scenes from racing years gone by were real good, the loud purr of the old Indy cars/engines. And right away we see how deadly car racing was back then (see Senna to see more on that). Now to the melodrama? Ummm We’ll see. :). Ultimately Can alpha male race car driver who wants to(must) win even at the cost of his own life, can he have a successful relationship with the woman who loves him but can’t live with his (deadly?)obsession, an obsession greater than their relationship? Lol, we’ll see how that part works.
Thanks again Annie.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Wow, Thanks Annie!! that one fell out of memory. I looked it up. It brought back the memory of seeing it MANY years ago. A bit too vague memory so I watched a portion of it this evening. It was nostalgic!. swaggering Paul Newman at his Cat On A Hot Tin Roof - Cool Hand Luke heyday. I’m extra showing my age now but Joanna Woodward was a favorite. Three Faces Of Eve, The Stripper.
I’m going to watch it all. What I did watch, the race scenes from racing years gone by were real good, the loud purr of the old Indy cars/engines. And right away we see how deadly car racing was back then (see Senna to see more on that). Now to the melodrama? Ummm We’ll see. :). Ultimately Can alpha male race car driver who wants to(must) win even at the cost of his own life, can he have a successful relationship with the woman who loves him but can’t live with his (deadly?)obsession, an obsession greater than their relationship? Lol, we’ll see how that part works.
Thanks again Annie.

It has special memories for me because I lived about two hours away from the Indianapolis motor Speedway and we would go to the 500 every year. At the time our seats were in the paddock section which looks out across the track to the pits. And one day I was watching activity in the pits through binoculars, and I was suddenly looking into the bluest eyes I had ever seen, and everything came into focus. Of course, it was Paul Newman in Mario Andretti’s pit. Mario was driving for him at the time. I was so excited that I handed in my binoculars to my friend. She looked and looked and but initially didn’t get what I was talking about. Then she did and she said oh my God is Paul Newman!

Last edited:

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
It has special memories for me because I lived about two hours away from the Indianapolis motor Speedway and we would go to the 500 every year. At the time our seats were in the paddock section which looks out across the track to the pits. And one day I was watching activity in the pits through binoculars, and I was suddenly looking into the bluest eyes I had ever seen, and everything came into focus. Of course, it was Paul Newman in Mario Andretti’s pit. Mario was driving for him at the time. I was so excited that I handed in my binoculars to my friend. She looked and looked and but initially didn’t get what I was talking about. Then she did and she said oh my God is Paul Newman!

What a moment that must have been for you and your friend! Back then Paul Newman was godlike. And some of his roles were seemingly perfect for the persona: Butch Cassidy, Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Winning (which is on my list this weekend).