AppleCare+ : Lessons Learned

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If anyone is considering buying an Apple Watch or has recently bought one, go ahead and bite the bullet to pick up AppleCare+.

I gave my wife an Apple Watch 4 for her birthday last week and decided to pass on AppleCare+. Four days after recieving her watch, she accidentally dropped it on a tile floor and cracked the screen.

Without AppleCare+, the repair cost is $299. UBreakIFix and other third party repair shops are not setup to handle the Apple Watch 4 and one hole-in-the-wall repair shop said they'd fix it for $399.

We opted to send it to Apple for repairs, mainly to avoid any warranty issues and because they seemed to be the only game in town. But here's the kicker. I asked if we could go ahead and get AppleCare+ on the repaired watch and was told AppleCare+ was not available for replacement watches. I don't agree with this policy, especially when Apple does the repairs, but it's not like my dislike will motivate Apple to change things.

Since buying my wife's watch, I have also bought a watch for myself and my son (he made the Dean's List and deserved something nice), but at the time opted out of AppleCare+. After learning the cost of repairs, I didn't hesitate and went to the Apple Store to pick-up the extended warranty for these watches.

I wish Apple employees would tell customers the cost of repairs if they didn't purchase AppleCare+. Had I known that it cost $299 to replace such a tiny piece of glass, I would have gladly spend the $70 for AppleCare+. Add the $80 to replace a broken watch under AppleCare+ and I would have been well below the cost without the extended coverage.

While many extended warranties are not worth the price, I have discovered the hard way that AppleCare+, for at least the watch, is well worth the price. I just wish Apple would sell it harder in the stores. I also wish they allowed you to pick up the coverage when Apple does the repairs.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Not getting Apple Care + is indeed a gamble in which sometimes you win and sometimes you don’t. Having said that, an unfortunate experience is made easy with Apple Care +.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your wife's unfortunate accident with her Apple Watch. I was offered AppleCare+ when I bought my Series 2 and I ponied up the money for it but have never had to use it to date. It's like insurance you hate to pay for it in advance but when something happens you're glad you have it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I guess you have to know to look, but they do tell you the pricing online:

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service/pricing

I agree with you that AC+ should be able to be added after you have paid for a repair (which I believe basically means that they send you a replacement.). I’d be ok with it not being pro-rated for reduced coverage time and limited to the anniversary date of the sale rather than two years from the time of purchasing AC.

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess you have to know to look, but they do tell you the pricing online:

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service/pricing

I agree with you that AC+ should be able to be added after you have paid for a repair (which I believe basically means that they send you a replacement.). I’d be ok with it not being pro-rated for reduced coverage time and limited to the anniversary date of the sale rather than two years from the time of purchasing AC.

Yep.

You concentrate on the reviews, ratings and features but rarely look at the service options. Even the sales associates at Apple focus on the features and selling points, but brush over the advantages of AppleCare+. They tell you the cost of AppleCare+ but in buying 3 watches over the past few weeks, I never heard anything about the savings.

Simply telling customers that it will cost $299 would be motivation enough for many to go ahead and buy the coverage.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to put Sqaure trade on her watch if you want to. They'll replace/reimburse you the cost for one.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad you've shared this story. I have never purchased Apple Care before, but have always worried about it, especially for my watch. I should have purchased it... and will next time around.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I guess it depends. I will never buy apple care. If you consider the cost for apple care every time you buy a new device, it's way more expensive than one repair. Unless you are very clumsy and have accident with all your devices.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess it depends. I will never buy apple care. If you consider the cost for apple care every time you buy a new device, it's way more expensive than one repair. Unless you are very clumsy and have accident with all your devices.

I felt the same way until I had to jump into a pond to save my two-year-old son with my 7 Plus in my pocket. I’ve purchased AppleCare+ ever since. The peace of mind is worth the expense, in my opinion.

ReVu30

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree, AppleCare was proven not to be waste of money when my original Series 2’s software started failing a whole year after the standard warranty. My Xs Max is the first that I ever bought AppleCare for a phone and will probably continue to purchase in the future.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
But here's the kicker. I asked if we could go ahead and get AppleCare+ on the repaired watch and was told AppleCare+ was not available for replacement watches.

But let's say you had bought AC+ and still sent it in. Wouldn't you still have the remainder of your original AC+ contract? If so, wouldn't that put AC+ on that replacement watch?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have never broken a phone, but on looking at repair costs for my XS I bought AppleCare + when I bought the phone, It does not seem much spread over the policy’s life.
I wish Apple would extend their loss or theft policy to the UK !

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I never use to purchase AppleCare, then I moved to NYC & decided I needed it lol. I’ve never broken a device (knock on wood), but I feel there’s more of a risk because of the amount of people around. Anyone can bump into you at any time. None of these people pay attention when they walk I got it on my XS & my Watch.

DRubin007

Mar 13, 2019
Visit site
will throw my 2 cents in the hat here.
I got an Apple Watch 4 for Christmas.
I declined AppleCare as I have always done over the years, never needed it.
Replaced a phone screen here or there, but nothing major.
2 weeks after getting the watch, dropped it and shattered the screen.
That was a painful lesson, but in the store they did let me add apple care to the replacement I had to buy. Actually have a few scratches on the glass already, but waiting until it gets worse before I pull the trigger and request a replacement.
Point here being they did let me add Apple Care on the replacement watch in the store.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner