AppleCare+ for Watch

townsdan

May 13, 2015
Visit site
So, if your like me and DID NOT purchase AppleCare+ coverage for the Watch, you will now not be able to purchase it until you get your Watch and can give them a serial number. So what's the big deal? The problem is, you have a 60 day window from the time you "purchase" the Watch to add AppleCare+ to it. Apple considers the date of purchase to be the day you ordered the Watch, NOT the day Apple pulled the funds from your account!! So, if you ordered on April 10, but don't receive the Watch until June 11, you may be unable to add AppleCare+!! I have confirmed all of this with Apple today. The reason they gave me for this is that they don't have a serial number off the Watch to add to the AppleCare+ account otherwise. I asked them why, then, can you order it up front at the time of the initial order?? Response was that the computer, at that singular point of sale, can link AppleCare+ to the order; otherwise AppleCare+ can only be added once you have the serial number. What the rep did for me was notate my account so I could still order AppleCare+ if for some reason I receive the Watch after my 60 days are up. If you're concerned as well, contact Apple and have them notate your account.

oneforone

May 7, 2015
Visit site
So, if your like me and DID NOT purchase AppleCare+ coverage for the Watch, you will now not be able to purchase it until you get your Watch and can give them a serial number. So what's the big deal? The problem is, you have a 60 day window from the time you "purchase" the Watch to add AppleCare+ to it. Apple considers the date of purchase to be the day you ordered the Watch, NOT the day Apple pulled the funds from your account!! So, if you ordered on April 10, but don't receive the Watch until June 11, you may be unable to add AppleCare+!! I have confirmed all of this with Apple today. The reason they gave me for this is that they don't have a serial number off the Watch to add to the AppleCare+ account otherwise. I asked them why, then, can you order it up front at the time of the initial order?? Response was that the computer, at that singular point of sale, can link AppleCare+ to the order; otherwise AppleCare+ can only be added once you have the serial number. What the rep did for me was notate my account so I could still order AppleCare+ if for some reason I receive the Watch after my 60 days are up. If you're concerned as well, contact Apple and have them notate your account.

I just contacted them and they said the apple care would be available from the time we are charged for the watch. I checked because my latest delivery date is beyond the 60 days from ordering.

42MM SG BSB
ordered 4/10 @ 6:50 am CST
delivery may 29 to June 11

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's not 60 days from the day you ordered, just a FYI. It's either shipping or delivered date is when your 60 days starts. It's basically the day your 1 year warranty starts is when they start the 60 day timer. Either way with over night shipping, that only makes a 1 day difference.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

May 15, 2015
Visit site
It's not 60 days from the day you ordered, just a FYI. It's either shipping or delivered date is when your 60 days starts. It's basically the day your 1 year warranty starts is when they start the 60 day timer. Either way with over night shipping, that only makes a 1 day difference.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Correct I called and verified this as well it's from the delivered day that the 60 days starts ticking

viewfly

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the OP is wrong on this. Whoever he/she's spoke to at Apple was misinformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just to add, I just confirmed this with Apple Chat. They did say you needed to go to a store to get AppleCare added so they can verify the watch is not already broken.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Just to add, I just confirmed this with Apple Chat. They did say you needed to go to a store to get AppleCare added so they can verify the watch is not already broken.

I bought mine over the phone on the day I received my Apple watch (launch day). Maybe because it was on Launch day they figured I couldn't have done much to it.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Fine print from the AppleCare+ for Watch webpage:

Purchase AppleCare+ with your new Apple Watch. Or buy it within 60 days of your Apple Watch purchase.

Visit an Apple Retail Store (inspection of Apple Watch and proof of purchase are required).
Or call (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)
.​

According to this, it seems you can purchase over the phone so long as long as you are willing to do a remote diagnostic and provide some sort of proof of purchase over the phone.

TooBIG

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Don't most or all Apple products let you buy AppleCare within the already existing warranty period? Most of the time the 1 (first)year?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Don't most or all Apple products let you buy AppleCare within the already existing warranty period? Most of the time the 1 (first)year?

Anything that covers physical damage, you only have 60 days. So watch, iPhone, and iPad is 60 days. Since AC doesn't cover physical damage on Mac, you have 1 year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk