Apple won't significantly increase iPhone ads, but its employees still don't like them

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The idea of more advertising on Apple Maps is wholly repugnant to me. There is already far too much crud on there ! If I did not ask for it I don’t want to see it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I guess I've either not seen any ads, or, been aware of them. If the ads are markers from nearby restaurants or other attractions, I wouldn't mind. If they are more than that, then I have mixed feelings about it. I guess the obvious thing to say is that I'll have to see them first before commenting! :D

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I use Apple Maps exclusively. Like Annie_M, I have either not seen them or haven’t noticed them. Provided ads are largely not noticeable, I also wouldn’t mind. But Apple has a fine line to walk. We’ve all seen some apps with obnoxious with ads, definitely seen webpages hyper obnoxious, and I’ve seen Amazon streaming sticks and some Android phones doing their semi-obnoxious best to get back their below cost sales price through embedded ads (private user data monetizing not withstanding). One of the ways Apple differentiates itself is by staying far enough away from that. It’d be a shame to see them get anywhere close to it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps l inadvertently misled you about advertisements on Apple maps, but if I open Apple maps without my requesting it there are a dozen restaurants ( not the best ones !) several petrol stations, golf clubs historic houses, supermarkets, DIY sheds etc,etc. Absolutely none of which I asked the location of and only those that paid for inclusion. Perhaps there should be a “ commercial” page !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess I've either not seen any ads, or, been aware of them. If the ads are markers from nearby restaurants or other attractions, I wouldn't mind. If they are more than that, then I have mixed feelings about it. I guess the obvious thing to say is that I'll have to see them first before commenting! :D

I use Apple Maps exclusively. Like Annie_M, I have either not seen them or haven’t noticed them. Provided ads are largely not noticeable, I also wouldn’t mind. But Apple has a fine line to walk. We’ve all seen some apps with obnoxious with ads, definitely seen webpages hyper obnoxious, and I’ve seen Amazon streaming sticks and some Android phones doing their semi-obnoxious best to get back their below cost sales price through embedded ads (private user data monetizing not withstanding). One of the ways Apple differentiates itself is by staying far enough away from that. It’d be a shame to see them get anywhere close to it.

Count me in among those who use Maps exclusively and I, too, have not noticed any ads while using it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Every mention on a map of the name of a commercial enterprise,has been paid for,
and is therefore an advertisement!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If said business paid for its placement, it is !

It by placement, you mean if the business paid or rented the building/unit and registered their business with Apple Maps then you consider that a paid ad. .

Poi’s on maps are a feature for users and not advertising.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It by placement, you mean if the business paid or rented the building/unit and registered their business with Apple Maps then you consider that a paid ad. .

Poi’s on maps are a feature for users and not advertising.

[SARCASM]
I'm sure the traffic circle, paid by the provincial government at billions of dollars, and that's a POI in Apple Maps is a paid ad. I don't want to see it, I want it to be a 4-way stop.
[/SARCASM]

Points of Interest are actually an important feature for a map. My car's embedded (and offline) GPS shows significant POIs, and I quickly know which are paid ads - they have the company's branding instead of a generic icon.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hilarious, Ed!!!! I enjoy Points of Interest. In fact, I have an App on my iPhone called "Let's Roam"... which I think will be fun when traveling, or when I'm bored and looking for something to do.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
[SARCASM]
I'm sure the traffic circle, paid by the provincial government at billions of dollars, and that's a POI in Apple Maps is a paid ad. I don't want to see it, I want it to be a 4-way stop.
[/SARCASM]

Points of Interest are actually an important feature for a map. My car's embedded (and offline) GPS shows significant POIs, and I quickly know which are paid ads - they have the company's branding instead of a generic icon.

I have heard that traffic circles and common streets are Apple Maps biggest advertising customers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73