Apple will start sourcing chips from the United States in 2024

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Do we know what the existing components cost them, and us ? I have seen estimates but that’s what they are ! The cost will increase,that’s for sure. After all in US and Europe clean up after manufacture will have to be done in reality.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Do we know what the existing components cost them, and us ? I have seen estimates but that’s what they are ! The cost will increase,that’s for sure. After all in US and Europe clean up after manufacture will have to be done in reality.

Good point. There are costs in the US that will be notably lesser in Taiwan, China, India, Vietnam etc. From initial regulatory to waste disposal. I believe (not certain) a US Congress bill will result in subsidizing the notable geographic markup. Arizona will almost certainly kick in tax reduction.
I’d liken it to Tesla and its first factory in Fremont California. You cannot build cars there! In the same building GM tried, Toyota tried, it’s just too expensive (I lived semi-nearby for years). From land cost, regulatory cost, to taxes, to labor cost, you just can’t build cars there…unless a hefty subsidy is given. Now you can build cars there (now you can build chips there in AZ).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad