Apple Weather is still not on par with Dark Sky in my opinion

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since Apple acquired Dark Sky, I assumed the default Weather app would be a more visually appeasing version and it would basically be as accurate. With that being said, I still find the default Weather app to not be on par with Dark Sky.

Take the weather map for example. With Dark Sky, the clouds and rain intensity level are far more accurate. I expect the weather map for the default Weather app to basically mirror that of Dark Sky, but it does not.

How is your experience with the default Weather app in comparison to Dark Sky?

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
My experience has been the same as yours. The Apple Weather app is subpar at best compared to Dark Sky. I’m disappointed that more hasn’t been done since Apple acquired it. Currently I’m looking for another comparable weather app since Dark Sky will sunset on 12/31/22.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My experience has been the same as yours. The Apple Weather app is subpar at best compared to Dark Sky. I’m disappointed that more hasn’t been done since Apple acquired it. Currently I’m looking for another comparable weather app since Dark Sky will sunset on 12/31/22.

AccuWeather is pretty accurate in my area — Orlando — and I usually keep it installed as a backup to Dark Sky and also to compare the accuracy of the weather data.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My experience with the Apple weather app is more on par with Dark Sky now. Weather alerts and maps are very much in sync. I guess I missed the news about Dark Sky going away at the end of the year.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I like the apple weather app quite a bit but there is room for improvement. Particularly the radar. But it is a visually appealing app in my opinion.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I never used Apple weather until recently to show on the lock screen. But other weather apps are adding that now. It's seems to be as accurate as my other 10 weather apps. A bit lacky on features though. I mostly use the local TV station's weather app for details and forecasts. I never used Dark Sky. Don't plan on paying $3.99 for what I don't need.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Apple Weather has always been good enough in my area. I usually use it on my phone (via Siri).

The precipitation notifications have been hit or miss (light rain for heavy rain, light rain for no rain, and light rain for light rain).

As for weather warnings and alerts, they’re exactly the same for every app since they are issued by ECCC (in Canada).

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Take the weather map for example. With Dark Sky, the clouds and rain intensity level are far more accurate. I expect the weather map for the default Weather app to basically mirror that of Dark Sky, but it does not.

At least in New England, I disagree. Dark Sky does this weird data smoothing that looks less refined that most other good weather apps that I have tried (Carrot and Hello are ones that I use regularly), and the Weather app also seems to have better defined maps.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
At least in New England, I disagree. Dark Sky does this weird data smoothing that looks less refined that most other good weather apps that I have tried (Carrot and Hello are ones that I use regularly), and the Weather app also seems to have better defined maps.

The graphics of Dark Sky is lackluster for sure, but that is not my focus. The sections within the app that depicts clouds and rain intensity is on point in comparison to the native Weather app in my experience. Today was a great example. While at a nearby Twistee Treat getting me some chocolate ice cream, it started raining very hard.

The weather map in the Dark Sky app accurately depicted the rain intensity at that location whereas the native weather app barely showed that it was raining.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I look out of the window and it’s pouring.
The weather app says cloudy/sunny.
Or vice versa.
Or extreme heat warnings are being displayed while temperatures are moderate. And stay that way until the next day.
Or, a 60% probability for rain is being displayed, but the hourly forecast shows no rain - for as long as the forecast goes.
Etc.
So besides nice looks, the stock weather app doesn’t provide any real benefits for me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The graphics of Dark Sky is lackluster for sure, but that is not my focus. The sections within the app that depicts clouds and rain intensity is on point in comparison to the native Weather app in my experience. Today was a great example. While at a nearby Twistee Treat getting me some chocolate ice cream, it started raining very hard.

The weather map in the Dark Sky app accurately depicted the rain intensity at that location whereas the native weather app barely showed that it was raining.

So, again, I have a lot more experience with Dark Sky showing incorrect rain intensity graphics. Last week I was caught in a downpour when Dark Sky wasn’t showing rain in the area. To be fair, I hadn’t checked the stock weather app, but in the past I’ve found the stock weather app is generally no different from Dark Sky around here.

And as for its forecast for the day (cloudy, overcast, rain) it’s been mediocre around here. I was hoping when Apple took it over that they would improve it, but so far they haven’t.

The notifications for when it’s going to rain or not rain are almost exactly the same for the weather app and Dark Sky (I have them both on.) Clearly last Sunday it was off.

Carrot to me is the best of the weather apps I’ve tried. I have the rudeness turned off - if you couldn’t turn that off, I’d be looking for something else.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, again, I have a lot more experience with Dark Sky showing incorrect rain intensity graphics. Last week I was caught in a downpour when Dark Sky wasn’t showing rain in the area. To be fair, I hadn’t checked the stock weather app, but in the past I’ve found the stock weather app is generally no different from Dark Sky around here.

And as for its forecast for the day (cloudy, overcast, rain) it’s been mediocre around here. I was hoping when Apple took it over that they would improve it, but so far they haven’t.

The notifications for when it’s going to rain or not rain are almost exactly the same for the weather app and Dark Sky (I have them both on.) Clearly last Sunday it was off.

Carrot to me is the best of the weather apps I’ve tried. I have the rudeness turned off - if you couldn’t turn that off, I’d be looking for something else.

Understood

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So, yesterday, when I asked for the forecast, Siri mentioned that data is provided by The Weather Channel. I wonder if Dark Sky uses a completely different source.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, yesterday, when I asked for the forecast, Siri mentioned that data is provided by The Weather Channel. I wonder if Dark Sky uses a completely different source.

Check out the Data Attribution list via the following link when you get a moment.

https://darksky.net/attribution

In addition, the information found via this link from 2011 is quite informative, but whether or not it’s accurate, I do not know.

https://www.gislounge.com/explaining-how-dark-sky-works/

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Or vice versa.
Or extreme heat warnings are being displayed while temperatures are moderate. And stay that way until the next day.
Or, a 60% probability for rain is being displayed, but the hourly forecast shows no rain - for as long as the forecast goes.
Etc.
So besides nice looks, the stock weather app doesn’t provide any real benefits for me.
P.S. I know it's not Apple who is actually making a forecast, but pulling data from elsewhere.
But the inconsistencies between different displays in one Apple app (and sometimes not even reflecting the live reality) only allow for these conclusions:

• different app panels are filled with data from different sources
  • or same sources but significantly different refresh/sync intervals for different panels.

Sometimes, when finding wrong/outdated information in the Apple app, I go to weather sites like weather.com or Accuweather or so.They are always accurate to at least display the current conditions properly.
And there never are discrepancies between different panels on their sites.
Their hourly forecast also seems more accurate than Apple's.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My experience with Dark Sky remains where it is superior for short-term and very local. The IBM (Weather Channel) data in the default weather app is often better than Dark Sky for a days out forecast.

People interested in this topic might appreciate the Forecast Advisor site that measures and ranks popular weather data firms and apps.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

LP Slade

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Or vice versa.
Etc.

I have the same issue here in Prague, CZ. It says sunny, but it’s raining. Says there will be rain, but nothing in the hourly forecast. Some of the info available for cities in the US don’t show for me, despite the same info being available on the weather channel’s website. Yahoo Weather and AccuWeather almost always have more accuracy.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I bought Dark Sky some years ago because of it’s reputation for accuracy… it’s undeserved ! In fact I bought it because of a particularly weather sensitive roof/window job. Unfortunately the job was on a hill and the next range of hills is twenty miles away and SW of me, the prevailing wind is SW . So I could see pretty accurately what was
going on. Of course the whole point was to not be there if it was going to rain ! Dark Sky was consistently wrong for six weeks !! It would tell me it was raining where I was, when it wasn’t twenty miles away.
So in UK Dark Sky was useless to me, still is !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox