Apple Watch with cellular?

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to trade in my Watch 5 for the 7 on Friday. I want to get Wi-Fi and Cellular Model this time. How do I choose the right carrier? when I look at the 6 order selections, it doesn't off a choice of carriers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.:cool:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Who’s your current mobile carrier and why not activate the cellular model Watch with it? THe cellular model is nice to have, especially during times when you can’t use your phone, don’t want to carry your phone or forgot to grab your phone. With that being said, the times you use the cellular portion of your Watch will probably be a lot less than you think so if you’re satisfied with your current cellular provider then activate your Watch with it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I would check with your iPhone carrier first. I went with AT&T because adding the line for the watch was only an additional $10 a month. I believe that Verizon and T-Mobile offer the same thing.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You can’t choose a different carrier for the watch - it must be the same carrier as the iPhone that activates and pairs with the watch.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You can’t choose a different carrier for the watch - it must be the same carrier as the iPhone that activates and pairs with the watch.

That's my point. At purchase time, I see no way to specify the carrier. I bought a Series 5 and found out I could only activare it on T-Mobile. I guess I'm confused or missed something during the watch building process.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That's my point. At purchase time, I see no way to specify the carrier. I bought a Series 5 and found out I could only activare it on T-Mobile. I guess I'm confused or missed something during the watch building process.

That’s right. You purchase a cellular watch and you activate on your iPhone with the carrier that you have on your iPhone. There aren't carrier-specific watches - you buy a cellular watch, and, if you have a plan on your carrier that supports adding an Apple Watch, you can add it to your iPhone carrier plan as a device that shares that plan using the Watch app on the iPhone. Apple still isn’t selling standalone cellular Apple Watches - it must be paired with an iPhone.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
That’s right. You purchase a cellular watch and you activate on your iPhone with the carrier that you have on your iPhone. There aren't carrier-specific watches - you buy a cellular watch, and, if you have a plan on your carrier that supports adding an Apple Watch, you can add it to your iPhone carrier plan as a device that shares that plan using the Watch app on the iPhone. Apple still isn’t selling standalone cellular Apple Watches - it must be paired with an iPhone.

Thanks for the response; makes sense.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. The 6 with cellular is about $100.00 more than gps only, plus an additional $10.00 per month for the connection makes it not worth it for me. I’d rather save the money, and carry my phone.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. The 6 with cellular is about $100.00 more than gps only, plus an additional $10.00 per month for the connection makes it not worth it for me. I’d rather save the money, and carry my phone.

This is how I look at it. Cellular on the Apple Watch really matters if you plan on being away from your iPhone or Wi-Fi.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
When I get my watch from apple they asked me my carrier. I traded my 6 for the 7. I am on Verizon. It was easy to pair with my watch. I have had all the watches starts with the 3

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Your watch will have a number and it will be linked to your phone. You can only have it as cellular on your carrier. It costs 10.00 a month

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

Carrying your phone while running sucks. I tried various armbands and slim waist packs but it was still an annoyance especially in warm weather. It feels great going for runs and not having to carry a phone.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Your watch will have a number and it will be linked to your phone. You can only have it as cellular on your carrier. It costs 10.00 a month

$10.00 is well worth having a cellular plan, IMHO!

Carrying your phone while running sucks. I tried various armbands and slim waist packs but it was still an annoyance especially in warm weather. It feels great going for runs and not having to carry a phone.

I agree completely! Not that I run... but when working out in the gym, it definitely does suck!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The reason I wanted cellular is somewhat unique. I am also an Android user. I have an Samsung S22 Ultra as well as my iPhone 13PM. I've been a phone junkie for many years. Most my friends and family have iPhones. Sometimes, however, I only want to carry my Samsung. The cellular AW7 allows me to leave my iPhone home (when I want) and still receive calls and texts to my main number. It's new keyboard makes it even easier to send texts discreetly. First world convenience but I appreciate it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Cellular watch user here. When I go kayaking or biking I rarely take my phone with me so it’s nice to be able to make/receive calls and messages if needed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro