Apple Watch Possible with Only an iPad?

GSDer

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I can't seem to get a straight answer about this from the Apple store or from the Apple sales folks (got contradictory answers from two different representatives). So I'm hoping that someone here will be able to give me an experiential answer.

Scenario: I have an iPad, but not an iPhone, and I'm interested in purchasing a Series 4 Apple Watch for the fitness features. I don't care about using the watch to make calls or receive messages (neither of which I do from the iPad - it's just a media consumption device [books, music, movies, etc]).

Can I do this, and use apps on the iPad to examine the fitness data, or will this not work without an iPhone in the picture? FWIW I have an Android phone for work purposes and am not interested in purchasing an iPhone just to make this work.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I can't seem to get a straight answer about this from the Apple store or from the Apple sales folks (got contradictory answers from two different representatives).

Completely shocked by this. It’s pretty well known that the watch requires an iPhone and does not work with an iPad. Hard to believe that there is a consumer facing Apple employee who doesn’t know this.

It’s right on the Apple's web site - the watch requires an iPhone 6 or later for a cellular model, or an iPhone 5s or later with a non-cellular model.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if you’re only interested in the fitness features and you’re not an iPhone user it would probably be best to save some money and buy another smart watch or fitness device that doesn’t require a paired iPhone.

GSDer

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
Completely shocked by this. It’s pretty well known that the watch requires an iPhone and does not work with an iPad. Hard to believe that there is a consumer facing Apple employee who doesn’t know this.

It’s right on the Apple's web site - the watch requires an iPhone 6 or later for a cellular model, or an iPhone 5s or later with a non-cellular model.
I spoke to a guy named Justin in the iPad sales department and I described exactly this scenario and he said that I should be able to use the watch. Then I called back and spoke to someone in the Apple Watch department and she had to check with someone else before she could give me an answer (that it wasn't supported). I ended up calling them because the guy I spoke to at the local Apple store was quite rude and just blew me off when I asked him this question.
Honestly, if you’re only interested in the fitness features and you’re not an iPhone user it would probably be best to save some money and buy another smart watch or fitness device that doesn’t require a paired iPhone.
Thanks all for your input!

I'll continue my search for a replacement for my Fitbit Alta HR.

GSDer

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
I'm going to take one more stab at this. My GF has an iPhone 7. Is there a way I can use my Apple ID on her phone to track the fitness data without confusing the whole mess? I have no idea how multiple accounts works (or doesn't) on Apple devices.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to take one more stab at this. My GF has an iPhone 7. Is there a way I can use my Apple ID on her phone to track the fitness data without confusing the whole mess? I have no idea how multiple accounts works (or doesn't) on Apple devices.

No. Her phone will track her data too, which will confuse the whole mess. The Apple Watch is meant to be a compliment to your Apple iPhone, not a stand alone fitness tracker.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77