Apple watch OS logic reversed?

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I cant see why you just swipe through watch faces, something you might change every few days, and you have to push a button to get to the dock. This should be the other way around.

You should just swipe to get to the dock, and if you want to change a face you press the button, or bury it in a menu.

Swiping to change watch faces is a total waste of a gesture.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I think there are people who use different faces at different times of the day or for different activities but it would certainly be nice to have the choice. I use the same watch face all of the time so the side-to-side swipe is a wasted gesture for me also.

Where it gets tricky is that if you ask 100 people then you'll many different answers. I'd like to swipe between apps as you suggest and then would like the button to be available in apps as a physical button (in a running app it would become the start/stop button) because sometimes the touchscreen isn't practical (in the wet, wearing gloves etc)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

To "you" it is a "total waste of a gesture", but to me, it is not. The dock, in "my" opinion, makes sense. Could the overall experience be improved? Of course.

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I like the way it is. I can't think of another way to improve this user experience.

huh, do yo have one. They are far from perfect. There is massive room for improvement. They are about at Windows 95 if you compare to the desktop.

I cant see why anyone would want to change watch faces that often that it needs to be the swipe gesture. This will change.

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I think there are people who use different faces at different times of the day or for different activities but it would certainly be nice to have the choice. I use the same watch face all of the time so the side-to-side swipe is a wasted gesture for me also.

Where it gets tricky is that if you ask 100 people then you'll many different answers. I'd like to swipe between apps as you suggest and then would like the button to be available in apps as a physical button (in a running app it would become the start/stop button) because sometimes the touchscreen isn't practical (in the wet, wearing gloves etc)

Yes, its always been a weakness of Apple. They hate to give their customers the choice or the decision.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
huh, do yo have one. They are far from perfect. There is massive room for improvement. They are about at Windows 95 if you compare to the desktop.

I cant see why anyone would want to change watch faces that often that it needs to be the swipe gesture. This will change.

Yes I do have one. And I change faces every few hours, depending on where I am and what I'm doing at that moment.
watchOS 3 is much much better than watchOS 2.

Last edited:

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
OK, i just cant ever think of a reason to do this. Im usually just to busy at work to even look at it. I change for he weekend maybe. But I do look at apps/dock a lot. Again, maybe this could be an option in the setup.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
OK, i just cant ever think of a reason to do this. Im usually just to busy at work to even look at it. I change for he weekend maybe. But I do look at apps/dock a lot. Again, maybe this could be an option in the setup.

I just got the watch last week, so I'm still playing around a bit, but I have the same watch face with different complications on them, to make it easier to launch an app when I want to rather than swiping through the dock or trying to tap a tiny target in the home screen. I usually have a pretty good idea which apps I might be using based on time of day, where I am, etc. (Though, honestly, I don't use apps all that much.)

But, sure, I'd be fine with an option to turn off swiping to switch faces. I'm not sure I want a swipe to go to the dock, though.

Still, this is only the third iteration of an immature OS and UX. Think how much iOS has improved since iPhone OS 3, or MacOS since Jaguar (and those were relatively more mature hardware categories compared with the watch.) User experience will improve over time (and, as a new user, it's my understanding that things are already much better than before.)

Last edited:

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

I, and I'm going to guess a few hundred testers at Apple, completely disagree. The setup is as it should be. Apple definitely got this right.

By the way, your consistently pro-Samsung and anti-Apple stances do make me wonder - do you have an iPhone and an Apple Watch? If so, why?

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I have 4 iPhones, 4 iPads, 2 Macs, 2 Apple TVs, and one watch in my house. Thats whats being used. Many more than this have been binned due to age etc.

I am just not tied up in the Apple Cult and can see the products for what they are, think for myself. I also can see the ever increasing issues, bugs, and bad design, and I will call it out.

I am disappointed with the Watch. Its kind of cool, but its well below par in a lot of areas.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am disappointed with the Watch. Its kind of cool, but its well below par in a lot of areas.

Can the watch do better? Yes!
But just not with the dock and face.
For instance, instead of letting us use the Digital Crown to scroll through the dock, Apple could bring up the same app overview as with pressing the Digital Crown but with bigger live icons. That way it makes calling up an app in it faster.

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
yeh, I think they have a lot to do. Watches are more personal than a phone I believe, and people will be looking for more customisation.

I would be happy if they just fix the bugs. 3rd part apps crash a lot, or just plain dont work.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
For me, using the side button to activate the dock is much, much more convenient than swiping on the screen.

I'm glad the functionality is the way it is and not reversed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am just not tied up in the Apple Cult and can see the products for what they are, think for myself. I also can see the ever increasing issues, bugs, and bad design, and I will call it out.

Be mindful not to assume everyone who doesn't find a problem with certain aspects of Apple's products and services or don't gripe about them are "tied up in the Apple Cult". Many of us are fully aware of what we're purchasing, have weighed the pros and cons, and have decided that the pros outweigh the cons. Also, many of us, as in life, make adjustments and move forward. Know what I mean?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
...I am just not tied up in the Apple Cult and can see the products for what they are, think for myself. I also can see the ever increasing issues, bugs, and bad design, and I will call it out.

Slow down there, skippy. I certainly am able to think for myself, as are most people here. So be REALLY careful where you swing that broad brush. SMH

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I waited for more time with the watch to comment.

Now that I have customized more faces and edited the ones used the gesturing back and forth seems ideal. I get into other apps or features from the face that's ideal for what I'm doing.

For those new, look at how you can take a face you like and make your modifications beyond color and look. You can modify what the corners, bottom or center spots will do depending on the face.

As examples I like the huge numbers display because I can read it without glasses. I use 24 hour time so a face with 12 hours keeps me talking and thinking same as all those around me. A 12 hour face with numerals and links to tasks, calendar and sunrise/set is great in my work day.

Maybe I'd have thought the logic reversed earlier but right now I like it to the extent of the watch will probably be a keeper.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative