Apple Watch and Gmail notifications?

dusty78

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything and cannot get any email notifications on my watch. I have 3 gmail accounts and one exchange server and none will notify me on the watch. The gmail accounts are set to fetch every 1 hr and the exchange server account is set to push. I don't have do not disturb activated. iMessage notifications work fine.

Mirror your iPhone my ****! If I don't figure this thing out in the next few days I will be returning the watch.

mlawrnce

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a sound selected (in the notification setting on your phone). I did that and now I get gmail notification - seems a really lame work around that needs attention in a watch software update

dusty78

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I find it insane that a 3rd party $179 Garmin Vivosmart fitness tracker will give instant and flawless notifications from my IPhone but my $600 APPLE watch will not.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I find it insane that a 3rd party $179 Garmin Vivosmart fitness tracker will give instant and flawless notifications from my IPhone but my $600 APPLE watch will not.

Will that same fitness tracker give you instant and flawless Gmail alerts?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. It mirrors the phone.

Then I don't know what to tell you, to be honest. I have 4 email accounts configured on my iPhone, but I only allow notifications from 2 of the 4 to reach my Watch. Neither are Gmail accounts. Anyway, notifications for the two email accounts are prompt in regard to my Watch. I've yet to miss any notifications of any kind, thus far. I wish I still had my Gmail account to test out for you, but I don't. Hopefully, other Gmail users with an Watch will offer their suggestions / recommendations soon.

dusty78

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My work exchange account isnt
notifying me either. Last night I went to bed and when I woke up my iPhone had 11 new emails throughout all my inboxes and 2 iMessages. The iMessages were the only notifications that were on the watch when I woke up.

The solution might be to get the gmail app on the phone but I don't want to do that. One of the reasons I love IOS is for its stock email app. When I briefly had a Samsung S5 I hated that I needed 3 different email apps to get all my email working on the phone.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My work exchange account isnt
notifying me either. Last night I went to bed and when I woke up my iPhone had 11 new emails throughout all my inboxes and 2 iMessages. The iMessages were the only notifications that were on the watch when I woke up.

The solution might be to get the gmail app on the phone but I don't want to do that. One of the reasons I love IOS is for its stock email app. When I briefly had a Samsung S5 I hated that I needed 3 different email apps to get all my email working on the phone.

Via the Watch app on your iPhone, try doing what is depicted in the below screenshot in regard to your gmail account. In summary, instead of selecting "mirror my iPhone", select "custom" and then delve deeper into the settings to be more specific. The screenshot depicts how I have it set up for iCloud and Outlook.com mail.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431607540.472552.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431607557.189874.jpg

dusty78

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I get notifications from an outlook.com, Gmail and work exchange account on my watch.
By any chance do you have the phone docked and not sleeping/screen dark? Because the notifications won't go to the watch if iOS believes you are actively using the phone.

No it was asleep this morning, actually when I tried to retrieve emails manually this morning on the watch I got a message to please unlock iPhone.

dusty78

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Via the Watch app on your iPhone, try doing what is depicted in the below screenshot in regard to your gmail account. In summary, instead of selecting "mirror my iPhone", select "custom" and then delve deeper into the settings to be more specific. The screenshot depicts how I have it set up for iCloud and Outlook.com mail.

View attachment 81449

View attachment 81450

I have it set up just like yours

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No it was asleep this morning, actually when I tried to retrieve emails manually this morning on the watch I got a message to please unlock iPhone.

"Please unlock iPhone"? I've never gotten a message like that.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you restart your phone you have to enter your password/pin before the iPhone will connect to wifi/Bluetooth/devices.
It's a security feature.

Op: just checked and notifications are coming through fine on the Apple watch from both my exchange account and my google business account.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Not anymore, I'm using the stock mail app and my gmail business account is set up to fetch not push.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you restart your phone you have to enter your password/pin before the iPhone will connect to wifi/Bluetooth/devices.
It's a security feature.

Op: just checked and notifications are coming through fine on the Apple watch from both my exchange account and my google business account.

Good luck

I just rebooted my iPhone 6 Plus, and was able to use certain features like email, iMessage, notes, etcetera without having to unlock my iPhone nor was I prompted by my Watch to unlock my iPhone.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a pin/password set up?

Yes, I have it set up on both devices and I do not have to enter my Watch passcode unless the watch is off of my wrist.