Apple Watch and Gmail notifications?

dusty78

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well looks like I figured it out. I deleted my work exchange account (my last day is tomorrow anyway) from the phone and I began to get email notifications. I don't know what the issue was but it fixed it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well looks like I figured it out. I deleted my work exchange account (my last day is tomorrow anyway) from the phone and I began to get email notifications. I don't know what the issue was but it fixed it.

Excellent, and thanks for the update....;)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

If you have the time. I would be interested in knowing if you re-add that exchange account if it would break notifications again, or if deleting and re-adding the account is the fix?...

dusty78

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I will have to wait until I start my new job in a couple of weeks and add their exchange account. My old employer already killed my email address.

Danny Olivo

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have tried everything and cannot get any email notifications on my watch. I have 3 gmail accounts and one exchange server and none will notify me on the watch. The gmail accounts are set to fetch every 1 hr and the exchange server account is set to push. I don't have do not disturb activated. iMessage notifications work fine.

Mirror your iPhone my ****! If I don't figure this thing out in the next few days I will be returning the watch.

Just came back from Apple with the same issues. Even they could not figure it out and had me watch a video from iphonecanada.ca about notification issues. I very rarely get any kind of notifications bedsides phone calls which I always get. I'm thinking of selling before the value goes down much further but on the other hand I might give it one software update to see if it gets better. I might add , two other people with me in the apple workshop were having the same notification issues.

Richard Whitney

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
After a couple of marathon sessions with Apple Support, I have the reason why people with Gmail don't get notifications and how you fix it. When you have Gmail as your "Mail" application on iPhone, the mail is not "pushed" to the iPhone. You have to open the Mail application and then you see a little wheel spinning up top and up come your new messages. That is because, when you are using Gmail as your email program in Apple Mail, Gmail is "fetched" and not "pushed." You don't get notifications of the Gmail messages on the watch because you actually don't get them on the iPhone. I just never noticed that. The "fix" is simple: download to the iPhone the app "Gmail for iPhone". Once it's downloaded, open it up and forget you did it if you like. Your email will still come to both that app and to your iPhone email app like it does not--but NOW, with the Gmail app, the email will be getting pushed to the phone. And you'll get a notification on the Apple Watch if you have set the email notification setting in the Apple Watch app on the iPhone to "Mirror the iPhone" (you call also do it with the Custom setting). One thing that threw me: notifications of either text messages or email are only coming to the watch if the iPhone is locked--e.g., it's timed out and you have to enter the passcode to get back in. If the iPhone is open, notifications don't go the watch because Apple in its wisdom set this all up to assume that if you are actively on the iPhone you don't need a notification to go to the watch.