Apple Watch 8

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I had absolutely no intention of getting an Apple Watch 8, but the new Ultra utterly enthralled me. There are SO many cool features, I can't say which excites me the most. Certainly, a key factor was the price. As Apple was introducing it, I told my wife it would surely be $1100+. That it includes a dive computer (which I have been shopping for) and sells for $799 is unbelievable. I can't wait until it arrives on 9/23!

So, who else is interested in the Apple Watch 8? What new features interest you?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I had absolutely no intention of getting an Apple Watch 8, but the new Ultra utterly enthralled me. There are SO many cool features, I can't say which excites me the most. Certainly, a key factor was the price. As Apple was introducing it, I told my wife it would surely be $1100+. That it includes a dive computer (which I have been shopping for) and sells for $799 is unbelievable. I can't wait until it arrives on 9/23!

So, who else is interested in the Apple Watch 8? What new features interest you?

I agree that it looks awesome!!! It’s not for me but awesome for those who would use these features!

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm the person Apple was marketing the Apple Watch Ultra towards and I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a watch. $799 - the same price as the iPhone 14 - is too dang high for a watch. The Series 8 will be just fine. I don't plan on picking one up for a month or two since my Series 7 is still going strong.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Debating between the Series 8 or the Ultra to upgrade from my 2 year old Series 6. Battery life is getting horrible on the 6, so that extended battery life on the Ultra is really enticing, and the extra features over the 8 might motivated me to get back out moving more again and hopefully back into hiking.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Upgrading from the Apple Watch 4 (Nike) to the 8, not the Ultra. Don't get me wrong it's an amazing piece of tech but overkill (at least for me).

I'm feeling like Apple is actually marketing the 8 for women... solely because of the temp sensor but, I am hoping that developers create apps applicable for men as well.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Debating between the Series 8 or the Ultra to upgrade from my 2 year old Series 6. Battery life is getting horrible on the 6, so that extended battery life on the Ultra is really enticing, and the extra features over the 8 might motivated me to get back out moving more again and hopefully back into hiking.

Same boat.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I might be upgrading from my Series 5 to a Series 8 around Christmas. The battery life on my Series 5 has degraded sufficiently to push me to upgrade.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Ordered my ultra once the store was as open, went to change my order to a different band and well not happening since the lead time was late October. Mine will be arriving as planned.

Now about cases and screen protectors, there are 0. Yea a nice watch still benefits from protection.

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I won’t be upgrading from my Watch series 6 to the series 8. My battery life is still great, and with WatchOS9 it does everything I need.

In my younger days, when I was a lot more active (and a qualified diver) I would have jumped at the new Ultra, but I remain happy with my series 6 until such times as it can’t do what I need.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I might be upgrading from my Series 5 to a Series 8 around Christmas. The battery life on my Series 5 has degraded sufficiently to push me to upgrade.

I typically put my Series 5 on around 7:20 AM before heading out the door to go to the office. It stays on my wrist until around 10 PM. The battery lasts the entire time with a decent amount of life left. At this very moment, I’m at 72% remaining battery life. I can easily get by with it for another year, but we’ll see. I like the professional all around look of the black stainless steel. I can wear it with anything and it’ll have a classy look to it. The Ultra, in my opinion, doesn’t have the same professional office look.

Its features are amazing, but overkill for me. I’ll withhold final judgment until I see it in person.

Last edited:

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm the person Apple was marketing the Apple Watch Ultra towards and I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a watch. $799 - the same price as the iPhone 14 - is too dang high for a watch. The Series 8 will be just fine. I don't plan on picking one up for a month or two since my Series 7 is still going strong.

I think the key to whether or not the price of the Ultra sounds reasonable is how much you value what it can do. For example, a good Garmin dive watch/computer with the features the Ultra will have is at least $650. A really good Garmin running watch can be $1000. If you want both those things, $799 is a bargain. If you don't want either, the watch probably makes no sense.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I typically put my Series 5 on around 7:20 AM before heading out the door to go to the office. It stays on my wrist until around 10 PM. The battery lasts the entire time with a decent amount of life left. At this very moment, I’m at 72% remaining battery life. I can easily get by with it for another year, but we’ll see. I like the professional all around look of the black stainless steel. I can wear it with anything and it’ll have a classy look to it. The Ultra, in my opinion, doesn’t have the same professional office look.

It’s features are amazing, but overkill for me. I’ll withhold final judgment until I see it in person.

I had to disabled AOD to get all-day battery life back. At this point, it really depends on my day (how much exercice, amount of notifications I do/receive).

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I agree completely! I don't think I would want the Ultra as my only Apple watch and that's why I'm keeping my AW 6 as a dress watch.

I was thinking about that today, and it's one of the reasons I had always been wanting a stainless version. I was seriously considering a stainless this time before yesterday's reveals and considered it again today when wondering if the Ultra was a bad choice for looks. Then I realized well I don't have a work need for a dressy watch, and since the Ultra still supports 44/45mm bands then maybe I can make it look pretty nice if I ever need to go to some event that I would care about something like that. So my current plan is to evaluate the Ultra when it gets here, or maybe go check it out in person since mine won't ship for about a week after release and then I can always cancel/return if it doesn't work out (looks, fit, etc) and go with the stainless option.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence here as my 4 watch will at times no longer last a day using a particular sports app. This is nothing against the Ultra. I'm not sure I want it as a daily wear watch, and until I retire in maybe 2 years I'll have to be carrying a Max type phone most of the time.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I too used to disable AOD on my Series 3, because of battery drain. When I got my series 7 in April, I was thrilled when I realized that even with AOD, I was getting well over 24 hours of battery life.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro