Apple warns employees they must come to the office or lose their jobs

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Per the article, “Schiffer notes that within the company "some orgs are saying failure to comply could result in termination" however she says this doesn't appear to be a company-wide policy. “

Reactions: Up_And_Away

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I suppose that Apple would really prove it’s credentials by not needing to even have offices. Soon Apple will know if you are thinking about the tasks you are employed to undertake, wherever you are. And no doubt dock your pay if you think about last night’s big match during the designated working day.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It’s not just Apple. Many companies who let their employees WFH during the pandemic are now making RTO mandatory.

It’s about time RTO is happening…but now not every one feels they “have” to RTO it’s nerve wracking to watch this world move in such a direction that is not as productive as we could be.

Reactions: Up_And_Away

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It’s about time RTO is happening…but now not every one feels they “have” to RTO it’s nerve wracking to watch this world move in such a direction that is not as productive as we could be.

I would say that there is no evidence to show higher production in office over work from home. I’d add that there is much more to life than production. Just my take.

Reactions: Bla1ze

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

I’m open to RTO, although my department been back in the office 100% of the time since March 2022.

My reason is not productivity, since I have been more productive in WFH (before June 2021). It’s more for the human contact that’s severely lacking when working from home. That and personal/work life separation.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately the previous company I worked for didn’t allow WFH because the managers had to be able to walk in at anytime to see what you were doing. However, when I had my knee replaced in 2021, I had about a 6 week period where I was allowed ti WFH and I got more done in that 6 week timeframe because I didn’t have all the unnecessary interruptions from management asking what I was working on.

Reactions: Wotchered

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
WFH from home,
according to my friends, at the very least allows you to arrive at your workstation without traffic frazzle or parking rage ! or having to put up with mindless management.
All say they can do more without interruptions. However there is a whole tier of management whose livelihood depends on being able to interfere with the work process !

Reactions: grover5

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
There's a bigger picture, and each situation is different. WFH is great for people who don't need to be present at the workplace. WFH doesn't work for me. I can do it every so often, but I need to be at the office, and available to students, co-workers, etc. I was looking at a Facebook memory a few minutes ago, and it was from when we were all WFH during the pandemic. It brought back memories of how lonely and isolated I felt. I prefer coming into the office, seeing and talking to people on a daily basis. But that's just me, and we're all different.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
There's a bigger picture, and each situation is different. WFH is great for people who don't need to be present at the workplace. WFH doesn't work for me. I can do it every so often, but I need to be at the office, and available to students, co-workers, etc. I was looking at a Facebook memory a few minutes ago, and it was from when we were all WFH during the pandemic. It brought back memories of how lonely and isolated I felt. I prefer coming into the office, seeing and talking to people on a daily basis. But that's just me, and we're all different.

I think that ideally we get to choose. But that depends on where you work.

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Every situation is different, yes.. but I've WFH for 10+ years now and have never had a need to go into an office. If there's no business need, it shouldn't really be required. If the business need is 'we need to justify paying rent on this huge building' it's not a real need.

Reactions: grover5

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
RTO was always fait accompli once the craziness subsided. The good news is, at least for now, you still get some WFH days.
If you want WFH, there are departments and specific areas that will remain WFH, even expand. But most I don’t see a full time WFH remaining. You’ll have to be valuable and have good negotiation skills.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh