Apple TV or Roku 3?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've kind of in the same boat myself, except in my case I just know that the second I buy an Apple TV, the much rumored/long awaited new version will be announced. Although maybe at $100, it won't be that big of a deal to replace it halfway through the year. I've been wanting to replace our little home theater PC with a solution that we can stream items from our iPads from. However, someone mentioned that a Roku app is able to stream your iPad videos and photos? I might need to look into that more.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I went ahead and got the Apple TV. I really wanted to check air play out. It seems pretty rad do far. Now I just hope they don't release a new one in a few months ;/

I hope they keep adding channels at a quicker pace than they have been.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Roku all the way! And with the Roku you can get an app called Plex, or (if you are willing to pay PlayON) to access your itunes stuff. And I just looked they added something else called Media Browser which might be able to do it also.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
So I went ahead and got the Apple TV. I really wanted to check air play out. It seems pretty rad do far. Now I just hope they don't release a new one in a few months ;/

I hope they keep adding channels at a quicker pace than they have been.

That's the only thing cause me to wait to pull the trigger as well :p. The current version has been out for more than a year and a half, it's overdue for a refresh.

Way back when I get my iPhone 3G, I didn't do due research and bought it about 2 weeks before the 3GS was announced (doh!). I've been wary since. Yes, I know that waiting for the 'next big thing' will mean I'm waiting forever, I get that.

I figure that nothing new will be announced until May at least, so maybe I'll go ahead with it anyway.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, actually I had a change of heart. I honestly missed amazon instant too much and decided to exchange it for a roku 3. It had a lot of apps I'll probably use. I did like air play, though.

I'm going to see what apple potentially does with a new Apple TV. And I'll decide if it's worth picking up in addition to the roku. But I'm pretty happy with the roku so far, but I admiralty only used it for a bit.

Do a lot of apple users here use a roku?

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got them both. Apple in the living room and Roku in the bedroom. In the living room I can screen more to the television to entertain guests. In the bedroom I watch Netflix. But to be honest I'm usually on network TV. But that's just me...

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
(Not that this thread was about me to begin with, but...)

Welp, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an Apple TV from Apple's website. Looking forward to what I can do with it. Also fortunate enough that I can use a relative's cable TV subscription login to access the cable content. I'll be eager to try it out to see if it can replace our little HTPC for Hulu/Netflix/other content.

Also got me a Kenu Air-frame car vent mount as well. I figure that I travel enough that having a mounted GPS in the form of my phone in any rental car is a good cheap investment :D.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm noticing that net flicks stream quality isn't looking as good as when I tried it in Apple TV. Maybe it's my connection, but it seemed like video came in clearer in the Apple TV, and that very thing might cause me to make yet another exchange to get the Apple TV again.

But if apple releases a update on this year, that would stink :(

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If you want to be able to stream Netflix until a new Apple TV drops take the Roku back and get a Chromecast for $35.
If a new Apple TV comes with game changing features you'll only be out $35. Maybe throw the Chromecast on a second TV at that time.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you want to be able to stream Netflix until a new Apple TV drops take the Roku back and get a Chromecast for $35.
If a new Apple TV comes with game changing features you'll only be out $35. Maybe throw the Chromecast on a second TV at that time.

We'll no, that's not the only thing I want to do with it.

Honestly, I'm probably going to take the roku back and just get the Apple TV again. I hope they'll let me do yet another exchange.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh