Apple Time Capsule

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How many of you use the Apple Time Capsule as your wireless router? Do any of you use it solely as either a Wi-Fi router or an external drive? Personally, I use mine for both and I take full advantage of its dual-band capabilities. My iPhone 5, MacBook and iPad 2 connect to it via the 5 GHz band whereas my wireless printer, Blu-ray player, my kids' iPhones and my e-book reader connects via the 2.5 GHz band. I love it.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Use mine as a second wifi hotspot... and my back-up for my macbook... and have an external drive connected to it that I keep a lot of my video files for my iTunes library on.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
How many of you use the Apple Time Capsule as your wireless router? Do any of you use it solely as either a Wi-Fi router or an external drive? Personally, I use mine for both and I take full advantage of its dual-band capabilities. My iPhone 5, MacBook and iPad 2 connect to it via the 5 GHz band whereas my wireless printer, Blu-ray player, my kids' iPhones and my e-book reader connects via the 2.5 GHz band. I love it.

I have several Apple routers... the TimeCapsule is my primary router and I utilize the internal hard drive for Time Machine backups. I also have a couple of Airport Express routers that I use to extend my network through the house... One of them has a USB printer connected.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have several Apple routers... the TimeCapsule is my primary router and I utilize the internal hard drive for Time Machine backups. I also have a couple of Airport Express routers that I use to extend my network through the house... One of them has a USB printer connected.

I rarely use the time machine backup function any more because a lot of my files are saved in the cloud or on the time capsule itself. If my MacBook ever needs restoring, I'll just wipe it clean. I have all of the DVDs it came with and I don't mind spending a day downloading and installing the updates.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I rarely use the time machine backup function any more because a lot of my files are saved in the cloud or on the time capsule itself. If my MacBook ever needs restoring, I'll just wipe it clean. I have all of the DVDs it came with and I don't mind spending a day downloading and installing the updates.

I understand that position... but why put yourself through that? Simply set up Time Machine and don’t give it another thought... I have backups back for over 18 months... occasionally I need to go back and restore a file - not often, but it’s nice - when I need it, it’s there.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I have an AirPort Extreme with a 2TB NAS attached via Ethernet and a 2TB external drive attached via USB. The external is used for time machine backups and some storage. The NAS is media storage, and a backup of my time machine backup. I don't think I would buy a time capsule because it can be a single point of failure which would be a disaster.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand that position... but why put yourself through that? Simply set up Time Machine and don?t give it another thought... I have backups back for over 18 months... occasionally I need to go back and restore a file - not often, but it?s nice - when I need it, it?s there.

I used to set it and forget it and I have restored a file that I needed but that was when I used to store everything on my MacBook's hard drive, but that is not the case any more. Still, I agree that I should start using it again, regardless.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Intresting that you bring this up as i just posted a thread under the MBP sub-forum where I just got back from looking at the sale best Buy has on all MBPs. I found one I like alot and the girl who was Aple trained mentioned to me that by getting a time capsule and hook it up to my current Netgear router I can then use it wireless to move any files over from the MacBook to the time capsule much like I do with my 1TB external drive I do now with my PC (yeh I know) Old habits. Anyway the only thing was the price of I think she said $399.00 for a 2TB. At the Price of the MBP it almost warranted it but I would only use it for storage and not the router. Anyway I am still considering all of this.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I never saw a need for the Apple routers or storage products. I use a D-Link router that I got for half the price of an Airport.

For my Time Machine backups, I use a Lacie Rugged Extreme hard drive. I like the quality and durability that Lacie and Seagate provide. I just plug it in every few days and it backs up in a few minutes.

I just can't justify the additional cost for Apple routers and storage when there are cheaper alternatives that work as well, maybe even better.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I never saw a need for the Apple routers or storage products. I use a D-Link router that I got for half the price of an Airport.

For my Time Machine backups, I use a Lacie Rugged Extreme hard drive. I like the quality and durability that Lacie and Seagate provide. I just plug it in every few days and it backs up in a few minutes.

I just can't justify the additional cost for Apple routers and storage when there are cheaper alternatives that work as well, maybe even better.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

After blowing through routers from Linksys (Cisco), Netgear, Belkin and D-Link over the years for myself and my family - none lasting more than a year, if that... I picked up an Apple TimeCapsule... it has served me very well - going on 2.5 years... certainly falls in line with the Apple tagline "it just works". I have never had a router last this long and never give me a moments problem... #justsaying #YMMV

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After blowing through routers from Linksys (Cisco), Netgear, Belkin and D-Link over the years for myself and my family - none lasting more than a year, if that... I picked up an Apple TimeCapsule... it has served me very well - going on 2.5 years... certainly falls in line with the Apple tagline "it just works". I have never had a router last this long and never give me a moments problem... #justsaying #YMMV

Same here. I've used all of the manufacturers you mentioned above and the TimeCapsule is the one I don't recall ever having problems with. I have more than got my money's worth out it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice