Apple rumored to launch new iPhone SE that looks like an iPhone 8 in 2020

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Is this how Apple gets rid of the older components like casings and screens over time?

iPhone 8 x A12/A13 processor = 2020 iPhone SE

Given that the cost will probably be around $500 (maybe more), that’s not exactly what we were hoping for. The iPhone 8’s design is ridiculously dated compared to the other mid-range phones out there.

If they keep everything the same apart from the processor, the only thing the iPhone 8 will have better than its rivals is performance (and the successor to the Pocophone F1 will probably be more or less just as fast) and wireless charging. I can already see the iPhone SE’s successor’s rivals having better designs, displays, batteries and cameras.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
iPhone 8 x A12/A13 processor = 2020 iPhone SE

Given that the cost will probably be around $500 (maybe more), that’s not exactly what we were hoping for. The iPhone 8’s design is ridiculously dated compared to the other mid-range phones out there.

If they keep everything the same apart from the processor, the only thing the iPhone 8 will have better than its rivals is performance (and the successor to the Pocophone F1 will probably be more or less just as fast) and wireless charging. I can already see the iPhone SE’s successor’s rivals having better designs, displays, batteries and cameras.

So then you have the R, Standard and Max to cater to you

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
So then you have the R, Standard and Max to cater to you

It’s not that I’m saying the potential future SE will suck. What I’m saying is that it’s going to have a tough time competing against more feature-packed rivals at the same price.

That said, it will probably still be successful as iPhone buyers who want a smaller/cheaper phone will buy one.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
That said, it will probably still be successful as iPhone buyers who want a smaller/cheaper phone will buy one.

I think this is the key point.
If this is true they are not necessarily looking to take on the competition but to keep or retrieve those IPhone supporters who want this type of device.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I think this is the key point.
If this is true they are not necessarily looking to take on the competition but to keep or retrieve those IPhone supporters who want this type of device.

Do you think it might eat into iPhone 12/12R sales? Bit of a dilemma for Apple.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I don’t think so.
People are keeping their phones longer. Those that want the latest and greatest will go for a 12. For those not wanting to spend that much money the SE upgrade may be their ticket to a new phone and actually increase sales overall.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I don’t think so.
People are keeping their phones longer. Those that want the latest and greatest will go for a 12. For those not wanting to spend that much money the SE upgrade may be their ticket to a new phone and actually increase sales overall.

Fair point...will be interesting to see how it goes. But for now, we have the iPhone 11 and iOS 13/iPad OS launches to look forward to :)

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site

This is part of building a wall around iOS customer base. As people start holding phones longer, iOS becomes far more competitive with some mid tier offerings. Rule #1 is never compete on price or you’ll race to bottom. There’s no real money is Android hardware if you’re not either #1 or #2 consistently year afte year. This SE is more about finding profits through already paid for basic non technical components and capturing some existing 6, 7, 8 users that don’t want to buy all new accessories too. Such customers are value driven and resist change...

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
An iPhone 6 or 7 with an updated processor and internals would make much better logic than an iPhone 8. The iPhone 8 had the glass back and wireless charging, which would only add to the production cost. If Apple is looking to make a phone for the late-adapter, non-adapter iPhone market, I believe an updated 6 or 7 would be the model.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
An iPhone 6 or 7 with an updated processor and internals would make much better logic than an iPhone 8. The iPhone 8 had the glass back and wireless charging, which would only add to the production cost. If Apple is looking to make a phone for the late-adapter, non-adapter iPhone market, I believe an updated 6 or 7 would be the model.

I agree. Wireless charging isn’t exactly a key feature I’d expect or want as someone who is looking to buy a mid-range phone. A good display, battery, performance and camera would be at the top of the list.

If I were Apple I would scrap the glass back/wireless charging and increase the battery capacity instead.

If it’s going to be an iPhone 8 with an updated processor then good performance and a decent camera (not great but still solid enough for mid-range) is already a given. I’m hoping to also see IP67/8 and a sub $500 price tag.

Apple won’t be making as much profit per device as they are with their flagships but since this is a mid-range phone in a highly competitive/crowded price segment they have to keep the price low enough.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
If it’s going to be an iPhone 8 with an updated processor then good performance and a decent camera (not great but still solid enough for mid-range) is already a given. I’m hoping to also see IP67/8 and a sub $500 price tag.

The iPhone 8 processor already is an Apple A11 Bionic chip at 2.4 GHz (same processor as the iPhone X (The new 2019 iPad features an Apple A10 processor).

The iPhone 8 single camera is the same 12 MP as the iPhone X.

The iPhone 8 already is IP67 rated under IEC standard 60529 for water resistance.

The iPhone 8 currently sells under $500 directly from Apple.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen