Apple Return Policy

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had my phone since launch and have suffered from the grip of death since. I ordered my free bumper but it still tends to drop calls on a regular basis. Will the Apple Store exchange my phone or is this something I had to do within 30 days of purchasing?

Thanks

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Dallas and for the most part we have decent service. I had a few dropped calls on my 3Gs but definitely not this many.

I just feel perhaps I got a bad phone because I don't actually use the death grip with my left hand, I hold the phone with my right, but I still manage to get the dropped calls. As you can imagine, it can get quite frustrating.

zacharace

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Will the Apple Store exchange my phone or is this something I had to do within 30 days of purchasing?

Pretty sure that you're out of luck on this one, unless there are extenuating circumstances and/or you can somehow convince the Genuises that your phone in particular is majorly malfunctioning.

I'd give it a shot at least.

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever considered that your cheek is hanging up on the call due to the proximity sensor issues it has?

Very good point. I have, on several occasions, ended up on various different screens. Wouldn't this be another reason they should honor my request?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Very good point. I have, on several occasions, ended up on various different screens. Wouldn't this be another reason they should honor my request?

Not yet. The 4.1 update is supposed to fix the proximity sensor issue that may be causing your dropped calls. If that doesn't fix it, then try to have it replaced. When will 4.1 be released? Glad you asked. The answer is......whenever it is. I predict sometime within the next 30 days.

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Not yet. The 4.1 update is supposed to fix the proximity sensor issue that may be causing your dropped calls. If that doesn't fix it, then try to have it replaced. When will 4.1 be released? Glad you asked. The answer is......whenever it is. I predict sometime within the next 30 days.

Apparently Apple is having an "event" on September 1st ( http://www.tipb.com/2010/08/25/apple-holding-special-event-september-1-2010/ ) so we might have the OS update that day or shortly there after.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
The Apple Store in Southlake (Fort Worth area) replaced my iPhone 4 due to the proximity sensor issue two weeks ago, and my replacement works great: I'm having no problems with the proximity sensor or dropped calls now. It's worth a shot.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Isnt flaky proximity sensor harware a possibility? Sure it is. I'd try a swap.

It depends on how "flaky" it is. There is a currently "known" issue with the software for the proximity sensor and Apple is more likely to ask you to wait until 4.1 comes out with the fix and offer a hardware swap after that if the issue still remains.