Apple Press Release on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Pre-orders

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I expected the number to be big since they sold out, but what surprises me is its only 4 million in 24 hours. They also didn't disclose 6 vs 6 Plus while typical also means they can't tout it either. I guess they are holding stock back for the other countries. I say forget about them and ship MORE to the US after all we are their # 1 market aren't we!

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I expected the number to be big since they sold out, but what surprises me is its only 4 million in 24 hours. They also didn't disclose 6 vs 6 Plus while typical also means they can't tout it either. I guess they are holding stock back for the other countries. I say forget about them and ship MORE to the US after all we are their # 1 market aren't we!

I was also kind of surprised that it was only 4 million. Sounds low to me, but they're probably holding a lot for launch day in-store purchases. It will be interesting to see the total numbers from the first weekend. The fact that they didn't break out 4.7 vs 5.5 mix is not surprising since they rarely (ever?) break out the numbers by specific model.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the apple stores will be stocked well, big box retailers will have it tough and carrier stores will fair maybe a bit better. But it also occurred to me that apple plans to roll out internationally a lot faster this time so they have to hold inventory for those markets. Perhaps 4 million is ALL they had for the US pre-orders and cut things off so they could have stock for launch day.

Not sure, rolling the dice on Friday at the big ATT store near me and if I can get a 128GB 6 Plus (any color) great, if not I will pre-order and just wait til November.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a theory...and it's really only that, but it makes sense to me...I think they're building up on hand stock for Apple stores so that on release day, more people are going into the store and walking out happy, considering how important it is to the stores to have customers leaving completely happy and satisfied (which is why they'll bend over backwards at times to satisfy requests from customers who bring their products in for service, sometimes WELL out of warranty).

I almost think the pre-order is always a "testing the water" scenario, and now they see it's going to be an absolute swarm this weekend, and I think we'll see some insane sales number after Sunday is over.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I have a theory...and it's really only that, but it makes sense to me...I think they're building up on hand stock for Apple stores so that on release day, more people are going into the store and walking out happy, considering how important it is to the stores to have customers leaving completely happy and satisfied (which is why they'll bend over backwards at times to satisfy requests from customers who bring their products in for service, sometimes WELL out of warranty).

I almost think the pre-order is always a "testing the water" scenario, and now they see it's going to be an absolute swarm this weekend, and I think we'll see some insane sales number after Sunday is over.

If that's the case, then there will be a lot of ticked off people who stayed up late/got up early to pre-order, put up with the site problems, and ended up with a 2-3 week wait for their device. Not saying the theory is wrong or if correct, Apple's thinking is wrong, but I can see some upset people. Hopefully, the supplies won't be constrained for very long, but this is shaping up to be one heckuva launch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner